cancel
Views
Helpful
Replies

max-reserved-bandwidth deprecated

Ray Lau
Level 1
Level 1

i am doing a migration with max-reserved-bandwidth set at interface level.

understand that the command is deprecated and is replaced using class/policy map/bandwidth percent. 

however the existing interface already has a policy-map being applied.

how can i make the existing entire policy-map with 'max-reserved-bandwidth'?

policy-map QOS
class ABC
priority 4000
set precedence 4
class XYZ
bandwidth 5000
set precedence 1
class class-default

interface GigabitEthernet0/0/1
bandwidth 10000
ip address X.X.X.X
no ip redirects
no ip unreachables
no ip proxy-arp
duplex full
speed 10
max-reserved-bandwidth 100
service-policy output QOS

5 Replies 5

e.ciollaro
Level 4
Level 4

Hi

understand that the command is deprecated and is replaced using class/policy map/bandwidth percent. 

as far as I know policy-map and max-reserved-bandwidth has different use: max-reserved-bandwidth defines the amount of bandwidth that can be reserved, the policy-map define how the reserved bandwidth is "distributed"  between the class. The default is 75% that means that 25% of the interface's bandwidth is used for "unclassified" traffic

E

if that's the case, then how do i implement max-reserved-bandwidth 100 in the new IOS?

Joseph W. Doherty
Hall of Fame
Hall of Fame

Disclaimer

The Author of this posting offers the information contained within this posting without consideration and with the reader's understanding that there's no implied or expressed suitability or fitness for any purpose. Information provided is for informational purposes only and should not be construed as rendering professional advice of any kind. Usage of this posting's information is solely at reader's own risk.

Liability Disclaimer

In no event shall Author be liable for any damages wha2tsoever (including, without limitation, damages for loss of use, data or profit) arising out of the use or inability to use the posting's information even if Author has been advised of the possibility of such damage.

Posting

First insure you're using a HQF version of CBWFQ.

I'm unsure you correctly understand how max-reserved-bandwidth worked.  By default, pre-HQF would not allow you to allocate more than 75% of the bandwidth for the aggregate of the non-default classes.  I believe it didn't matter how you actually allocated the non-default class bandwidth.  (I.e. bps or percentage based didn't matter [although first versions of CBWFQ didn't offer percentage approach].)

I recall (?) HQF requires 1% for class-default.  I.e. you might find you're unable to allocate more than 99% to the aggregate of non-default classes.

I also recall (?) with HQF max-reserved-bandwidth is ignored.

If you haven't actually allocated 100% of bandwidth to the aggregate of non-default classes (for example, your posting looks to have allocated 90%), you might find you don't need to do anything.  If you want to be "neat", you could remove the max-reserved-bandwidth statements.  You might also assign a bandwidth allocation to class-default.

If you want to "modernize" your CBWFQ, you could use percentages and/or remaining bandwidth instead of absolute bit rates.

BTW, doesn't apply to your posted policy, but FQ used in class-default operates differently between pre-HQF and HQF CBWFQ.  Also with HQF, you can use FQ on other non-default classes.

noted on your theory that it may not be applicable.. I am not really familiar in qos, I am doing a migration and I need to ensure whatever config goes into the new box. 

I just want to know that since max-reserved-bandwidth is deprecated, what is the command to replace it? 

Disclaimer

The Author of this posting offers the information contained within this posting without consideration and with the reader's understanding that there's no implied or expressed suitability or fitness for any purpose. Information provided is for informational purposes only and should not be construed as rendering professional advice of any kind. Usage of this posting's information is solely at reader's own risk.

Liability Disclaimer

In no event shall Author be liable for any damages wha2tsoever (including, without limitation, damages for loss of use, data or profit) arising out of the use or inability to use the posting's information even if Author has been advised of the possibility of such damage.

Posting

There isn't a command to replace it.

HQF is designed more assuming you know what you're doing.  I.e. by default, again, pre-HQF insured you had at least 25% of bandwidth available for class-default, unless you changed the default with max-reserved-bandwidth.

With HQF, I recall (?) it sets a minimum of 1% for class-default, that you cannot (?) override (beyond providing more bandwidth).

If you OP is accurate, you can:

• Make no changes (to obtain the same results).
  • Remove the max-reserved-bandwidth statements, as that command is (I believe) now effectively no-op.
  • Modernize your QoS configuration to take advantage of later CBWFQ features.

An example of the latter:

policy-map QOS
class ABC
priority percent 40
set precedence 4
class XYZ
bandwidth percent 50
set precedence 1

fair-queue
class class-default

fair-queue

bandwidth remaining percent 100