cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
cancel
Views
Helpful
Replies

ME 3400E Series - Routing performance (Layer 3) ?

Ylevacher
Level 1
Level 1

Hi all,

On the datasheet, product specifications are for forwarding only :

Forwarding bandwidth:

• Cisco ME 3400EG-12CS AC or DC: 32 Gbps

• Cisco ME 3400EG-2CS AC: 8 Gbps

• Cisco ME 3400E-24TS, AC or DC: 8 Gbps

Forwarding rate:

• Cisco ME 3400EG-12CS, AC or DC: 26 mpps

• Cisco ME 3400EG-2CS AC: 6.5 mpps

• Cisco ME 3400E-24TS, AC or DC: 6.5 mpps

Does somebody know where can I find the performance for routing (layer 3) for this product ?

Many thanks

Yannick

6 Replies 6

Joseph W. Doherty
Hall of Fame
Hall of Fame

Disclaimer

The Author of this posting offers the information contained within this posting without consideration and with the reader's understanding that there's no implied or expressed suitability or fitness for any purpose. Information provided is for informational purposes only and should not be construed as rendering professional advice of any kind. Usage of this posting's information is solely at reader's own risk.

Liability Disclaimer

In no event shall Author be liable for any damages whatsoever (including, without limitation, damages for loss of use, data or profit) arising out of the use or inability to use the posting's information even if Author has been advised of the possibility of such damage.

Posting

Usually, as long as L3 forwarding is being done within hardware, it's the same performance numbers.

A long time since this question  has been posted but I just finished testing the ME3400E.  L3 routing seems to be limited to about 150 routes before performance begins to degradate using OSPF and some instability is encountered.  After that point the CPU reaches over 80% during the forming of adjacencies and the results become inconsistant. The testing was perfomed using a Spirent test center and multiple ME3400E switches.

Disclaimer

The Author of this posting offers the information contained within this posting without consideration and with the reader's understanding that there's no implied or expressed suitability or fitness for any purpose. Information provided is for informational purposes only and should not be construed as rendering professional advice of any kind. Usage of this posting's information is solely at reader's own risk.

Liability Disclaimer

In no event shall Author be liable for any damages wha2tsoever (including, without limitation, damages for loss of use, data or profit) arising out of the use or inability to use the posting's information even if Author has been advised of the possibility of such damage.

Posting

Laugh - I've seen new posts to even (much) older threads.

I'm unfamiliar with the ME3400E, but it's somewhat surprising that L3 degrades only after 150 routes.

On switches like the 3560/3750 series, their L3 will degrade, and CPU jump, when the number of routes overflows their TCAM.  On those, using the optimal SDM template can make or break how well they operate.  Does the ME3400E have any TCAM management option settings?

The only adjustments for the TCAM are found through the "sdm prefer" function.

Disclaimer

Liability Disclaimer

In no event shall Author be liable for any damages wha2tsoever (including, without limitation, damages for loss of use, data or profit) arising out of the use or inability to use the posting's information even if Author has been advised of the possibility of such damage.

Posting

If the ME3400E supports the SDM prefer command, does it have a template for routing?  If so, were you using that template when you hit what appears to be a performance limitation at 150 routes?

2044418Puts
Level 1
Level 1

Hello, I'm looking for this information too. Has anyone benchmarked/verified this already?

Thanks!

Review Cisco Networking products for a $25 gift card