Views
Helpful
Replies

MED questions in regard of BGP.

syjeon
Level 1
Level 1

Hi

we established with two different internet service provider as eBGP. but, some link have a many traffic than another link.

So, we have to control incoming(receiving traffic from internet to our server farm) with BGP command.

I thought MED is the solution. but, not sure if it is working or not under different ISP.

Another one, if that is support, what we should do check ISP to make the change correctly?

Please, see the attached file and feedback to me the best one.

Thanks.

3 Replies 3

Reza Sharifi
Hall of Fame
Hall of Fame

Hi,

Yes, you can use MED to influence the incoming traffic from the ISPs to your device.  Have a look at this link.  It provides config examples and also load balancing of traffic among the 2 ISPs.  This way, you are using both links and not one being overly utilized and the other one sitting idle

http://www.cisco.com/en/US/tech/tk365/technologies_tech_note09186a0080094934.shtml

HTH

milan.kulik
Level 10
Level 10

Hi,

IMHO, MED will not work here.

I might try to advertise some of your subnets with your AS prepended several times to one of your providers.

This way, traffic targeted to those subnets might come via the other provider.

BR,

Milan

MED is less preferred in the path selection process than AS path length. I would suggest using AS path prepending instead.

AS-path prepending is the only other way to influence the incoming traffic, but even that you may not 100% guarantee that the traffic will always come through the provider that you intended it to because of policies on the other end, etc.

HTH,

John

HTH, John *** Please rate all useful posts ***
Getting Started

Find answers to your questions by entering keywords or phrases in the Search bar above. New here? Use these resources to familiarize yourself with the community:

Review Cisco Networking products for a $25 gift card