Views
Helpful
Replies

Mesure of jitter based on ping command

TommyKay
Level 1
Level 1

Hello,

I would like to measure the jitter based on ping command. From the ping command, I get the round-trip time. I'll get the latency by dividing the average round-trip time by 2. Then, I want to calculate that f.e. for 30 packets, and then calculate the jitter(difference between the previous and next average latency). Still, how can I get the information on the round-trip time for every packet sent in the terminal of my 7200 router in GNS3?

Maybe I can do that automatically using third-party software?
I want to calculate the jitter for f.e. 500 packets sent.

Any help will be much appreciated!

21 Replies 21

for packet change the interval between packet and check the unpreceded packet 
for latency I will check why you react monitor not work.

The only interval key work in ip sla configuration I could find was in this command: 

PEdge1(config-ip-sla)#icmp-jitter 111.111.111.111 source-ip 10.0.0.2 num-packets 500 interval 10

I set up it to 10 s. The rest of the configuration(reaction-configuration) was the same as in the previous post. Still I did get 330 processed and 170 unprocessed.
If you need configs of routers or anything, just say a word.

there is mismatch between the num of packet * interval and the idle time and timeout of icmp packet 
so try reduce the number of packet and or make interval lower than 10
I prefer reduce the number it give some time to router to process packets

hgfghfghfhghfgh.png

I changed the interval to 200 and got after a while 500 of RTT's and 499 of Jitter samples, so that's fine. 
1. How about the latency? Did you manage to check it? I still have 0 samples in this section using:

PEdge1(config)#ip sla reaction-configuration 1 react latencyDSAvg action-type trapOnly threshold-type immediate threshold-value 1 1
PEdge1(config)#ip sla reaction-configuration 1 react latencySDAvg action-type trapOnly threshold-type immediate threshold-value 1 1

2. Could you try and find out whether you are able to use an IPv6 address for ip sla? If so, what IOS, router version and platform(GNS3, CML) are you using?

EDITED:

I've watched a video on CBT Nuggets where an IPv6 sla was configured. Launched the virtual lab for this video and checked whether I am able to use IPv6 with

icmp-echo

and I could. I checked the IOS version and it was c7200-adventerprisek9-mz.152-4.S4. I added this image to GNS3, added a new router, and launched and enabled IPv6. Unfortunately, I didn't see the IPv6 option under

icmp-jitter

or any other command. What is going on...?! 

@MHM Cisco World I have one more question about the MTU setting. If I use the ip sla on PE router and set the destination ip to be the destination loopback0 of the CE router, so I'll have to change the MTU setting on every interface the traffic pass through, not only on the egress interface on PE router, where I configure the ip sla?
I deduced that, because setting the MTU to 1550 on the egress interface of PE router will be different than the ingress interface of the first P router(which MTU is equal to 1500 by default).

Below is a screenshot of which interfaces I thought about to adjust the MTU size depending on the size I want.

sorry for late reply 
Now let summary the Q 
1-

latency in icmp-jitter

this I run lab and check same config you share and there is no latency appear in statistic, so this need more work 
2- IPv6 sorry BUT I am so weak in IPv6 I could not help you in this task 
3- MTU, when one router fragment the packet other packet will not de-fragment it except  the last router (destination)  
so config the MTU is logical be in router near the origin of traffic 

Thank you both @MHM Cisco World and @Joseph W. Doherty for the clues and for pointing me towards IP SLA.
I performed the tests with it. Finally, I've managed to get to working the IPv6 version in

ip sla

configuration mode. I've used

c7200-adventerprisek9-mz.152-4.S4 image in GNS3 and configured udp-jitter

(there was no

icmp-jitter 

with this version of IOS).
Additionally, I've managed to get the latency section working. I've synced sending, receiving, and all the routers along the path with the same NTP server(additionally, set the timezone and ntp update-calendar on all the routers). After checking the time on all of them I scheduled the

ip sla 

and indeed, the times showed up. 

Review Cisco Networking for a $25 gift card