cancel
Views
Helpful
Replies

Metro Ethernet config help

burleyman
Level 8
Level 8

I have not yet setup or worked with a Metro Ethernet setup yet and need some guideance or point me to some good reads on how to configure and setup and route between sites. All sites have a 2901 ISR router with Gi0/0 connected to the ISP Metro Ethernet and Gi0/1 connected to the LAN switch with a flat network.

Let's say I have 5 sites one being the Main site which has the connection to the internet that all the other sites use and has all the servers and storage.

LAN IP addresses

Main -  10.30.1.0 /24

Site 1 - 10.30.12.0 /24

Site 2 - 10.30.7.0 /24

Site 3 - 10.30.16.0 /24

Site 4 - 10.30.3.0 /24   

Metro Ethernet IP addresses

Main - 172.16.1.0 /30

Site 1 - 172.16.1.4 /30

Site 2 - 172.16.1.8 /30

Site 3 - 172.16.1.12 /30

Site 4 - 172.16.1.16 /30

What kind of routing would I setup or is it directed by the ISP?

Would I just configure the interfaces with IP addresses and for the LAN make the gateway the Gi0/1 interface and then put a default route pointing to the IP address of the first hop at the ISP?

Is there any type of QOS I need to worry about? No VoIP traffic just data traffic.

Is this just basic layer 3 config and that is it....nothing special?

Thanks,

Mike

1 Accepted Solution

Accepted Solutions

John Blakley
VIP Alumni
VIP Alumni

Mike,

MetroE is nothing special really. Your connection will connect into their switch, and they'll generally tell you what vlan to tag and if you even need to.

You can use whatever you like as long as it's p2p between locations, but if you're routing to the ISP, they may tell you or give you the choice.

Would  I just configure the interfaces with IP addresses and for the LAN make  the gateway the Gi0/1 interface and then put a default route pointing to  the IP address of the first hop at the ISP?

Yes, you'll probably have a single address that peers with the PE with a default route.

Is there any type of QOS I need to worry about? No VoIP traffic just data traffic.

That's up to what you're doing. If you have sensitive traffic, you may want to, but it depends on how much of that traffic is shared across the line and if you'll ever see any congestion.

Basically, that's it. We have a p2p between us and a datacenter and MetroE at some locations. They have a fiber connection that goes into the provider's switch and we have a copper handoff from the router into their switch. 9 times out of 10, they'll tell us that we have to tag our traffic, but that's all that's "special" about it. Routing, and everything else, is exactly the same as a standard circuit.

HTH,
John

*** Please rate all useful posts ***

HTH, John *** Please rate all useful posts ***

View solution in original post

2 Replies 2

John Blakley
VIP Alumni
VIP Alumni

Mike,

MetroE is nothing special really. Your connection will connect into their switch, and they'll generally tell you what vlan to tag and if you even need to.

You can use whatever you like as long as it's p2p between locations, but if you're routing to the ISP, they may tell you or give you the choice.

Would  I just configure the interfaces with IP addresses and for the LAN make  the gateway the Gi0/1 interface and then put a default route pointing to  the IP address of the first hop at the ISP?

Yes, you'll probably have a single address that peers with the PE with a default route.

That's up to what you're doing. If you have sensitive traffic, you may want to, but it depends on how much of that traffic is shared across the line and if you'll ever see any congestion.

Basically, that's it. We have a p2p between us and a datacenter and MetroE at some locations. They have a fiber connection that goes into the provider's switch and we have a copper handoff from the router into their switch. 9 times out of 10, they'll tell us that we have to tag our traffic, but that's all that's "special" about it. Routing, and everything else, is exactly the same as a standard circuit.

HTH,
John

*** Please rate all useful posts ***

HTH, John *** Please rate all useful posts ***

Thanks...that is what I thought and was over thinking it.

Thanks for your help.

Mike

Review Cisco Networking for a $25 gift card