cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
cancel
Views
Helpful
Replies

Microsoft Windows IGMP V3 Join and Leave Group Record Type Query.

michael.taylor
Level 1
Level 1

Hello Everybody,

Whilst troubleshooting a customer multi-casting issue I have encountered an anomaly that I am having difficulty understanding.

I have two VLC playing laptops running Windows 7 and 10 on different networks trying to join a video broadcast across a ISR 4321 that includes an 8 port switch. Works perfectly with IGMP V2 but totally falls apart when updated to support IGMP V3.

The IGMP V3 join requests contains a Group Record Type "CHANGE_TO_EXCLUDE" listing the 239.0.0.1 group that I am trying to join.  Conversely, following VLC shutdown, the OS sends a IGMP V3 leave request containing a Group Record Type "CHANGE_TO_INCLUDE" listing the 239.0.0.1 group that I am trying to leave.

These symptoms were generated by Windows 7 and 10 endpoints running VLC version 3.0.8

I am at a loss o understand why the Join Group Record Type is not either "ALLOW_NEW_SOURCES" or "CHANGE_TO_INCLUDE"!

Suffice to say that my Microsoft Technet Forum submission is yet to attract a response.

2 Replies 2

Hello,

this one is going to be hard to track. On the Windows machine, is Windows 7 configured for IGMPv3 ? If not, add a DWORD value to the registry as described below:

1.type “regedit” , then navigate to HKEY_LOCAL_MACHINE\SYSTEM\CurrentControlSet\Services\Tcpip\Parameters\

1.In the right pane, right-click and select New – DWORD (32-bit value) and set its name as “IGMPVersion” , set it with the value 4

You could also try and configure 'ip igmp v3lite' on the ISR...

Evening All,

Following up on Georg’s reply, IGMP Snooping feedback confirms that Windows IGMP versions are consistent with the ISR.

I used a variation of the regedit tweak (IGMPVersion=3) to downgrade Windows to IGMP V2.

Review Cisco Networking products for a $25 gift card