Helpful
Replies

Migrate Server Farm to New IP Subnet

catalystexpress
Level 1
Level 1

Hi All,

Currently we have flat network and the IP subnet is 10.6.0.0/16

If we have to create new user vlan and server vlan  and still stick to 10.6.xx.xx/xx subnet (for some gloab reason )

User VLAN 30th floor:  10.6.30.0/24  (my orginal plan was 10.16.30.0/24)

User VLAN 31st floor: 10.6.31.0/24   (my orginal plan was 10.16.31.0/24)

Server VLAN:      10.6.1.0/24  (my orginal plan was 10.6.0.0/16)

The challenges would be

We have to change all the 76 Server IP to 10.6.1.x/24

We have to change all the DNS records for the same

We may have to make sure all the applications point to the new server IP (but this should be taken care by DNS correct?)

Routing should work

Can anyone please tell me what other issue will I face

many thanks for the support

cheers..

2 Accepted Solutions

Accepted Solutions

Nataliya Omelyanyuk
Cisco Employee
Cisco Employee

Hi there

1) regarding application access to server - you need doublecheck if your applications apply to corresponding server by name or by IP. In the second case, if you will change server IPs on one-by-one basis (e.g. server with IP 10.6.1.21/16 will become 10.6.1.21/24) - no problem shoud arise anyway; otherwise you may need change IP of server in application parameters as well

2) don't forget change IP (or at least mask only) on currently existing server VLAN SVI on your routing device - it should also be from range 10.6.1.0/24; also depending on routing protocol you use you may need update "network" statement.

BR,

Nataliya

View solution in original post

Hi,

I don't know if any uniform checklist exists, as every migration project differs in scope, migration object, timeframe etc.

In your particular case it looks like this:

- backup your existing configuration

- change network devices configuration (including FW rules if you have FW between your server farm and switch/router terminating server VLAN)

- check

- change server IP-addressing

- check IP connectivity

- change DNS configuration

- check server accessibility by names

- if necessary - change applications configuration

- check application access to servers

You also have to be ready rollback to previous configuration after each step in case something goes wrong.

BR,

Nataliya

View solution in original post

5 Replies 5

Nataliya Omelyanyuk
Cisco Employee
Cisco Employee

Hi there

1) regarding application access to server - you need doublecheck if your applications apply to corresponding server by name or by IP. In the second case, if you will change server IPs on one-by-one basis (e.g. server with IP 10.6.1.21/16 will become 10.6.1.21/24) - no problem shoud arise anyway; otherwise you may need change IP of server in application parameters as well

2) don't forget change IP (or at least mask only) on currently existing server VLAN SVI on your routing device - it should also be from range 10.6.1.0/24; also depending on routing protocol you use you may need update "network" statement.

BR,

Nataliya

This is very very instructive.

Thank you Nataliya,

Wondering if you have any checksheet for such projects which will include everything to be checked for network migration

Cheers...

Hi,

I don't know if any uniform checklist exists, as every migration project differs in scope, migration object, timeframe etc.

In your particular case it looks like this:

- backup your existing configuration

- change network devices configuration (including FW rules if you have FW between your server farm and switch/router terminating server VLAN)

- check

- change server IP-addressing

- check IP connectivity

- change DNS configuration

- check server accessibility by names

- if necessary - change applications configuration

- check application access to servers

You also have to be ready rollback to previous configuration after each step in case something goes wrong.

BR,

Nataliya

Many thanks for the list

cheers...

Getting Started

Find answers to your questions by entering keywords or phrases in the Search bar above. New here? Use these resources to familiarize yourself with the community: