Views
Helpful
Replies

Migration from VLAN 1 to another VLAN

Samy87
Level 1
Level 1

Hi Guys, 

I am planning on migration of LAN setup from default VLAN 1 to VLAN 100, i got VLAN 1 with 30.x.x.x network and VLAN 100 with 10.x.x.x, i had planned to migrate IP as well, so my setup is like SW trunk interface port connected to Riverbed and the riverbed inpath interface connected to WAN router, all are in VLAN 1(30.x.x.x) IP range, i need to migrate all of them from VLAN 1 to VLAN 100 and also change IP as well, to be note i am not removing VLAN 1, need steps to be taken care before going for changes, since its a production environment.

Switch configuration is like:

interface GigabitEthernet4/0/48
description RB inpath3_0
switchport mode trunk
speed 100
duplex full

Router interface connecting to Riverbed is like:

interface GigabitEthernet0/1
description LAN
no ip address
duplex full
speed 100
!
interface GigabitEthernet0/1.1
encapsulation dot1Q 1 native
ip address 30.x.x.x 255.255.252.0
no ip redirects
ip directed-broadcast
ip pim sparse-mode
!
interface GigabitEthernet0/1.100
encapsulation dot1Q 100
ip address 10.x.x.x 255.255.252.0
no ip redirects
ip directed-broadcast
ip pim sparse-mode

8 Replies 8

Hello

@Samy87 wrote:

Hi Guys, 

I am planning on migration of LAN setup from default VLAN 1 to VLAN 100,

VLAN 1 with 30.x.x.x network

VLAN 100 with 10.x.x.x,

all are in VLAN 1(30.x.x.x) IP range, i need to migrate all of them from VLAN 1 to VLAN 100 and also change IP

production environment.

Not clear!
What ip address are you wanting to use for vlan 100 and also what happens to existing  addressing for vlan10?

Please rate and mark as an accepted solution if you have found any of the information provided useful.
This then could assist others on these forums to find a valuable answer and broadens the community’s global network.

Kind Regards
Paul

Hi Paul, 

I am using only VLAN 1 and VLAN 100, my VLAN 100 ip falls on range 10.1.1.1/22, since i had default vlan 1, on the switch trunk port connecting the router whether i need to specify "switchport trunk native vlan 100" on the SW config to assign the VLAN 100 IP on the router interface.

Hello

@Samy87 wrote:

Hi Paul, 

I am using only VLAN 1 and VLAN 100, my VLAN 100 ip falls on range 10.1.1.1/22, since i had default vlan 1, on the switch trunk port connecting the router whether i need to specify "switchport trunk native vlan 100" on the SW config to assign the VLAN 100 IP on the router interface.

Only need to specify vlan 100 as native if you want vlan 100 to be native and have utagged traffic -

Now its still unclear to me why you need to migrate addressing from vlan 1 to vlan 100 and what is going to happen to the current vlan 100 addressing

Please rate and mark as an accepted solution if you have found any of the information provided useful.
This then could assist others on these forums to find a valuable answer and broadens the community’s global network.

Kind Regards
Paul

Jaderson Pessoa
VIP Alumni
VIP Alumni

@Samy87 ,

I am planning on migration of LAN setup from default VLAN 1 to VLAN 100, i got VLAN 1 with 30.x.x.x network and VLAN 100 with 10.x.x.x

Basically you need check three thing to check before changing your network.

1. Check if your dhcp scope are configured properly

2. Check if your trunks ports and access ports are configured properly and dont forget to create and check if yours vlans are UP/UP.

3. Check if your router has a nat configuration allowing this 10.x.x.x network to internet

Regards,

Jaderson Pessoa
*** Rate All Helpful Responses ***

Thanks for your reply, yes already i had done all the given points and migrated other L3 switches and user VLAN on network and assigned the IP's on 10x range, my query is whether i need to configure switchport trunk native vlan 100 on switch trunk port connecting to router and make router subinterface config as encapsulation dot1q native 100, since i am still using VLAN 1 on network.

Hi,

As per your configuration:

Interface GigabitEthernet0/1.1
encapsulation dot1Q 1 native
ip address 30.x.x.x 255.255.252.0
no ip redirects
ip directed-broadcast
ip pim sparse-mode
!
interface GigabitEthernet0/1.100
encapsulation dot1Q 100
ip address 10.x.x.x 255.255.252.0
no ip redirects
ip directed-broadcast
ip pim sparse-mode

VLAN 1 is native VLAN and VLAN 100 must be tagged VLAN. So your switch port configuration will look like:

interface  GigabitEthernet x/x/x

switchport mode trunk

switchport trunk allowed vlan add 1,100

switchport trunk native vlan 1

Regards,

Deepak Kumar

Regards,
Deepak Kumar,
Don't forget to vote and accept the solution if this comment will help you!

Hello

@Deepak Kumar

interface  GigabitEthernet x/x/x

switchport mode trunk

switchport trunk allowed vlan add 1,100

switchport trunk native vlan 1

Regards,

Deepak Kumar

No need to specify native vlan 1 its default 

@Samy87
int x/x
ip directed broadcast -  no need for directed broadcast so this isn't applicable

Kind Regards
Paul

Yes, not is necessary specify vlan 1 as native.
Jaderson Pessoa
*** Rate All Helpful Responses ***
Review Cisco Networking for a $25 gift card