cancel
Views
Helpful
Replies

Mobile IP or Tunneling or ?

dino55088
Level 1
Level 1

I have to do a server migration of a remote  site LAN 10.5.9.X /24   into our data centre 10.5.8.X /24

We do not want to renumber 10.5.9.X servers and server team do not want to do BIG Bang- they want to do a staged migration where some 10.5.9.X servers will be spanning across 2 sites.

Is there a way to do this? I have used mobile ip before but not available on our 10.5.8.X data centre 3850 ip-services switches. Remote site 10.5.9.X is fortinet

1 Accepted Solution

Accepted Solutions

Richard Burts
Hall of Fame
Hall of Fame

I do not believe that there is a really good solution to do this migration the way that the server group wants to do it. The clean solution would be to leave 10.5.9 at the remote site and to change the IP of the server as it moves to 10.5.8. What the server group wants to do would make their situation easier because it would not change the server IP (or reuire DNS changes or anything). But it would require that the say IP subnet would appear at two different physical locations. There is an alternative that you might consider which is l2tpv3 which does support extending a vlan/subnet to another site. You might find this link to be helpful

https://www.cisco.com/c/en/us/td/docs/ios/12_0s/feature/guide/l2tpv30s.html

HTH

Rick

HTH

Rick

View solution in original post

1 Reply 1

Richard Burts
Hall of Fame
Hall of Fame

I do not believe that there is a really good solution to do this migration the way that the server group wants to do it. The clean solution would be to leave 10.5.9 at the remote site and to change the IP of the server as it moves to 10.5.8. What the server group wants to do would make their situation easier because it would not change the server IP (or reuire DNS changes or anything). But it would require that the say IP subnet would appear at two different physical locations. There is an alternative that you might consider which is l2tpv3 which does support extending a vlan/subnet to another site. You might find this link to be helpful

https://www.cisco.com/c/en/us/td/docs/ios/12_0s/feature/guide/l2tpv30s.html

HTH

Rick

HTH

Rick
Review Cisco Networking products for a $25 gift card