Views
Helpful
Replies

MPLS and PBR on Egress PE

Map23
Level 1
Level 1

Hi all, 

I tried to search posts about this topic but I didn't find something related to it. 

My question is, I have Site A and Site B connected with MPLS. 

When traffic arrive from Site A to Site B, I want avoid lookup on routing table on Site B - Egress PE, because I have to match different traffic types with PBR and redirect it to different next-hops. 

With MPLS isn't possibile apply PBR to specific Ingress interface on PE, so I don't know how is possibile do it. 

Is there some simple solution to achieve this goal ? 

Thanks, 

Marcello

4 Replies 4

Hello,

is MPLS traffic engineering an option for you ?

Hi Georg, 

can TE solve this problem ? from my point of view TE can help to use best path to optimize connections ... Am I wrong ? 

Thanks, 

Marcello

Giuseppe Larosa
Hall of Fame
Hall of Fame

Hello Marcello,

you mean an MPLS L3 VPN service ?

In this case traffic arrives at egress with the VPN label , the VPN label is removed and used to send traffic to CE node.

A possible trick is to use two VRFs on the egress PE :

B1 is used to advertise customer prefixes to the backbone and receives traffic

B2 connects to the actual CE nodes and also there is a physical link between the two VRFs on a shared IP subnet using static routes on B1 side and allowing to use PBR on the B2 side interface.

By using a LAN switch you can use two VLAN based subinterfaces to build the B1 to B2 link taken from two different physical interfaces of egress PE.

As an alternative to all this setup you can add a  SP managed CE device in front of the real CE nodes and implement PBR on it.

Hope to help

Giuseppe

Thank you Giuseppe, 

sorry Giuseppe, yes I talking about L3VPN service

probably it can be a solution, but in my environment isn't possibile apply it or ... better .. I want evaluate before other solution that don't need another VRF.

Thanks, 

Marcello

Getting Started

Find answers to your questions by entering keywords or phrases in the Search bar above. New here? Use these resources to familiarize yourself with the community: