Views
Helpful
Replies

MPLS over GRE not working

waqas.salam
Level 1
Level 1

Hi guys, 

I have setup 2 PE's directly connected and created gre tunnel over this point 2 point with mpls ip command . Configured loopbacks on both routers for bgp peering. Tunnel and loopbacks   advertised in ospf for reachability . Bgp and ldp peer established. Vrf customer1 on both router are showing routes of both ends which are directly connected. I am able to ping site a and site b gateways in vrf BUT i have seen first time that end to end both laptops site a and site b are not pingable

Please can someone  give me the solution asap. 

22 Replies 22

Hello,

post the configs of both ends...

I have attached 2 files as configuration of both routers.

I have changed MTU to given over head of GRE and MPLS header as well. still issue is  same.

I will appreciate if you can provide me the way that why when pinging from lan is not working as all other ping from router to router is pinging in vrf.

Hello,

sorry for the delay...I'll have a look and let you know...

Thanks George, i have time constraint .

please if you can help me on fast track. please let me know if any other information needed.

Hello,

I have recreated your exact setup in GNS3, with PCs attached to both ends, and I can ping end to end. So your configs look ok. Could the problem be with the laptops ?

Thanks George, this looks great . Sory i forget to tell you i have also tested on GNS before real routers . that's why very confuse why its happening.

yes in real scenario, my laptop can't ping other side of lan IP but i can ping loopback on local router in same vrf from laptop. now when i try to ping any IP which resides on router B which is not pingable.

Hello,

how are your laptops connected, directly to the routers A and B (that's what I did), or is there another customer router in between ?

No o have directly laptop connected

Curious if you have tried any debugging to see how far the ping reaches when you attempt to ping the network that's connected to remote router or a trace route. That may help narrow down the issue and can divulge where issue might be.

Yes i able to ping remote router loopbacks in same vrf from router router but when trying to ping from ce laptop then remote router ping reaches only till gateway.
Is there any issue with hardware or softwate

Testing your configuration in gns3 didn't produce any errors and I was able to ping across just fine. I know you and the other member have also tested this configuration in gns3 and didn't experience any issues, but I still wanted to try it out.

I don't want to say you have a faulty device in your lab, but possibly a software error. What's interesting is that both end devices are having the same issue. Did you try debugging on the remote end when sourcing an icmp packet from laptop?

Can you try accessing router A over telnet from laptop that's connected to router b? sometimes it can be easier to troubleshoot a networking issue using tcp. I would highly suggest to debug the traffic and see where it is failing. If it's successful then we will know for some reason it's only the ping that's failing.

Plz confirm which ios and platform did you use in gns.
I have in gns 7200 npe-400 and in lab 7606 sup720-3b with ios 15.1 advance enterprise k9m

I have both ios codes  12.x and 15.x, but I used code 12 to test your configuration.

You have test on 7606 sup720-3b platform, if yes please share ios with me. So i can upload same ios.
I will be thankfull to you
Review Cisco Networking for a $25 gift card