Views
Helpful
Replies

MPLS vs. Point to Point

Scott Hanson
Level 3
Level 3

All,

removing price as a factor and assuming a company has 6 sites nationwide is there ever a time that Point to Point circuits are preferred over MPLS?  I can;t seem to think of any reason for going Point to Point but maybe I am missing something.

Thanks,

All replies rated.

2 Replies 2

Josh Sprang
Level 1
Level 1

I would use MPLS if money was not an object.  Sounds like the best for the type of deployment you are using above.  There is redundancy built within the provider network.  If you are using a PPP in a star and the hub/other side goes down that is it...

if you want I 2c I would look into doing away with all of it and use DMVPN/iWAN if it fits...    

PPP might be easier due to the fact you do not need to exchange routing protocols and QOS with your provider..   

just my 2c..

Joseph W. Doherty
Hall of Fame
Hall of Fame

Disclaimer

The Author of this posting offers the information contained within this posting without consideration and with the reader's understanding that there's no implied or expressed suitability or fitness for any purpose. Information provided is for informational purposes only and should not be construed as rendering professional advice of any kind. Usage of this posting's information is solely at reader's own risk.

Liability Disclaimer

In no event shall Author be liable for any damages whatsoever (including, without limitation, damages for loss of use, data or profit) arising out of the use or inability to use the posting's information even if Author has been advised of the possibility of such damage.

Posting

p2p links avoid bandwidth sharing issues, common with "cloud" WANs.

That said, MPLS (or other "cloud" WAN technologies, including Internet) certainly can be deployed in a manner that mimics p2p, and if so, you can get p2p like performance at a lower cost.  What generally happens, though, a network takes "advantage" of a WAN cloud's multipoint features to even further reduce costs, but at the risk of creating unpredictable performance (the latter can often be somewhat mitigated by MPLS QoS features, buy they are usually inferior to what you can do on a p2p).

Review Cisco Networking for a $25 gift card