Views
Helpful
Replies

MSDP without BGP

marco.merlo
Level 1
Level 1

Hi to all,

suppose to have two PIM domains each running bsr (two RPs per domain on each domain an access-list manage rp mapping)

Suppose that unicast ipv4 address spaces of the newtworks  of the two domains do not overlap.

Suppose that unicast traffic is already flowing between the two networks that are connected through a transparent ASA firewall.

I want to make multicast traffic pass between the two domains.

One solution of course is to enable pim on the ASA firewall getting a uniq bigger PIM domain with one elected  bsr router.

Anyway I'd like to keep separate the tho domains from bsr perspective and control which sources in one domain can be used on the other

I did some test on a lab environment and make it work using these configurations:

1)Use pim bsr-border to stop bsr  packetson both sides of the firewall

2)Set up msdp between the RPs, that is each RP on one domain peers with both RPs on the other domain

3)To make traffic from source A in domain 1  available  in domain 2 add the mgroup used by source A to the access list that manage rp mapping in domain 2

In this way RPs on domain 2 know active sources in domain 1 and PIM routers in domain 2 are able to forward igmp report's join towards their domain RP

So can msdp be used without (m)BGP and without anycast RPs?

Regards

MM

Regards

MM

1 Accepted Solution

Accepted Solutions

Yes, you do not strictly need BGP to run MSDP.

Your approach goes in the right direction. MSDP is the control plane in charge of communicate the existence of a Multicast Sources to other RPs (located at other "domains") so those can send a PIM Join towards this Multicast Source in case they need to.

Of course you need PIM & Routing enabled end-to-end.

HTH.

View solution in original post

3 Replies 3

Yes, you do not strictly need BGP to run MSDP.

Your approach goes in the right direction. MSDP is the control plane in charge of communicate the existence of a Multicast Sources to other RPs (located at other "domains") so those can send a PIM Join towards this Multicast Source in case they need to.

Of course you need PIM & Routing enabled end-to-end.

HTH.

Thank you very much Hector!

Now I hope the my labs and your authoritative reply will persuade the colleague  with whom I am arguing that I am right!

MM

I’m glad the information has been useful.
You can use BGP additional to MSDP optionally to advertise networks from the other domain. However, if the IGP is already taken care of that you do not strictly need BGP.

HTH.
Review Cisco Networking products for a $25 gift card