Views
Helpful
Replies

MSTP configuration help

bobbydazzler
Level 1
Level 1

Hello,

I have a question regarding MSTP implementation. We are in the migration process to replace a standalone 6509 by two Nexus 9K switches.
We used to have MSTP running between the 6509 (root) site A and the nexus SFP site B. All others switches are in pvst. We have dedicated fibers connecting the switches with different vlan for each client. I was using MSTP in order to do that, but there might be a better solution ?

Attached is the layer 2 topology of the current situation, partly migrated some fibers to the Nexus and mstp in a messy state. I would like to migrate the final fibers of client C (in green) to the top Nexus and switch on the link between the 6509 and the Nexus (link in blue).

Could I configure MSTP only between the Nexus SFP of site A/B ? And keep the 6509 in pvst ? Which one of the Nexus should be root ?

Looking forward to any advice.

17 Replies 17

Hello
Based on your topology, as stated site B C9K1 would be the most applicable for the CIST root running MST
see attached file for possible solution.

Please rate and mark as an accepted solution if you have found any of the information provided useful.
This then could assist others on these forums to find a valuable answer and broadens the community’s global network.

Kind Regards
Paul

MHM

Hello
not sure i follow this - We do not see dual stp domains ( pvst/rstp & mst) and any related boundary ports showing the interconnections between different stp domains ?

Please rate and mark as an accepted solution if you have found any of the information provided useful.
This then could assist others on these forums to find a valuable answer and broadens the community’s global network.

Kind Regards
Paul
Review Cisco Networking for a $25 gift card