cancel
Views
Helpful
Replies

Multi-Home BGP question

Arthur Kant
Level 1
Level 1

Hey gang here is an easy question I hope about BGP.

Given the following network:

I have a two Internet edge routers (Router A and Router B) both pulling multiple full tables from transit providers via ebgp.  Both routers are also connected together and run ibgp between each other.

Router A has Transit Provider 1 connected and Router B has Transit Provider 3 & 4 connected.

If I do a show ip bgp 1.1.1.1/8 on Router A I see that the best path to the prefix is through Transit Provider 1 and nothing else

If I do a show ip bgp 1.1.1.1/8 on Router B I see the best path to the prefix through Transit Provider 1 with next-hope of Router A.  I then also see other paths via Transit provider 3 & 4.

My questions:

1) Why do I not see the paths via Transit provider 3 & 4 on Router A ?   Is it because Router B is not advertising it to me because it is learning the best path from Router A ?  

2) If Router A lost its connection to Transit 1 would happen?  The route would disappear and thus not be advertised to Router B would that cause Router B to then send over its best path for Router A?

Thanks!

Kenny

3 Replies 3

1) need some more information

on Router B - "sh ip bgp neigh <Transit 3> received-routes

on Router B - "sh ip bgp neigh <Transit 4> received-routes

on Router B - "show ip bgp 1.1.1.1/8" [complete output]

2) If Router A to Transit 1 lost, then in ideal scenario you should see best path on Router B for 1.1.1.1/8 via Transit 3 or Transit 4

Also my doubt, are you able to see 1.1.1.1/8 or 1.0.0.0/8 ?? have you configured "no auto-summary" ??

Vivek

Joseph W. Doherty
Hall of Fame
Hall of Fame

Disclaimer

The Author of this posting offers the information contained within this posting without consideration and with the reader's understanding that there's no implied or expressed suitability or fitness for any purpose. Information provided is for informational purposes only and should not be construed as rendering professional advice of any kind. Usage of this posting's information is solely at reader's own risk.

Liability Disclaimer

In no event shall Author be liable for any damages whatsoever (including, without limitation, damages for loss of use, data or profit) arising out of the use or inability to use the posting's information even if Author has been advised of the possibility of such damage.

Posting

It also might be, 1.1.1.1/8 has one less AS hop via Transit Provider 1 than via Transit Providers 3 and 4.  If prefix has some number of AS hops from each Transit Provider, your local router will prefer it.

Arthur Kant
Level 1
Level 1

Gentlemen thank you for the replies thus far.  I think the reason for this behavior is due to BGP rules only advertising the best path it knows to another peer.  Since Router B is not has its best path to the AS through Router A it does not have eligible path to send to Router A.  I also neglected to say that both router A&B are in a conferdation .

Review Cisco Networking products for a $25 gift card