cancel
Views
Helpful
Replies

Multi-Tenancy Network Design

Luke Robertson
Level 1
Level 1

Hi. Just after some theoretical ideas about supporting multiple customers to the data centre.

The organisation I work for has a DC where it hosts custom apps for multiple customers.

Most customers connect over private links to the DC, and only use the internet as a backup path. The provider uses an MPLS network for the private links. We have control over the network in the DC, but not at the customer end, or the providers MPLS.

As some customers have the same IP address ranges in their networks (eg, 192.168.0.0/24) as we have in our DC, we translate all their addresses to another address range that doesn't conflict. This means that every subnet on a customers network gets translated with a 1:1 NAT. This means that every time a customer changes something with their subnets (adds new ones, extends, VLSM, and so on) we have to change the translations on the router at their premesis. This is not impossible, but annoying.

Is there a better way to do this? Would VRFs work, or do they need to be inside the MPLS?

Thanks

1 Reply 1

Hi Luke,

VRF won't work as IPs should be unique inside vrf. In your case it is not the case.

What is striking me as of now is make VPNs for all of your customer and those vpn can be assigned to different VRFs.

VPN should be built on loopback IP address.

Just a theory. Even I need a POCL for this idea.

Regards,

Smitesh

Review Cisco Networking for a $25 gift card