cancel
Views
Helpful
Replies

Multicast between configuration on eBGP peers

Adnan Khan
Level 4
Level 4

I want to consifure IP multicast routing between eBGP Peers and I have two routers on same location and HSRP is running between them on LAN facing interfaces . Assume I have similar type of config on other side of the router. What will be multicast config for eBGP also do I need specific multicast IP address like 232 range instead 239 and also do i need to configure multicast querier. Firewall is placed behind the routers (in HA) and firewall has all the gateway for LAN Switching side.

R1

router bgp 100
bgp log-neighbor-changes

network 172.x.x.x
redistribute static
neighbor 192.168.100.2 remote-as 200

R2

router bgp 100
bgp log-neighbor-changes
network 172.x.x.x
redistribute static
neighbor 192.168.100.3 remote-as 200

4 Replies 4

Hello,

the most important thing in multicast is the RPF check. If you only have one link between two eBGP peers, multicast across different ASs shouldn't be a problem and doesn't require any specific additional configuration.

Just in case you have multiple paths, have a look at the link below:

https://community.cisco.com/t5/networking-documents/how-to-configure-multiprotocol-bgp-for-ip-multicasting/tac-p/3132630#M3652

Hi,

Many thanks for the reply. I have attached my topology. If you can give me the only muticast related configuration according to the diagram, really appreciate for your help.

Hello,

looking at your topology, I assume you have dual links to the same ISP ? As stated, as long as unicast and multicast traffic use the same path and the RPF check does not fail, you don't need to configure anything specific.

What problem are you running into exactly ?

Hi ,

Its a new config and i dont want wo messup with the network due lack of multicast knowledge. I would really apprexiatw if u can give the requires config for this scnario. Isp is same and do i need to use 232 ramge ip for server or 239 can be used om ebgp?
Review Cisco Networking products for a $25 gift card