cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
cancel
Views
Helpful
Replies

Multicast question (from multicast to unicast)

Boris Krajnc
Level 1
Level 1

Hello,

I would like to know if there is somebody who have experience with multicast and can help me with my problem.multicast_to_unicast.jpg

Short description of my network. As you can see from the picture I have source of multicast stream which is connected to the Cisco switch through VLAN 252. Trunk over next Cisco switch to the router ASR 1002-F on Subinterface Ge 0/0/3.252. I also enable IGMP snooping on all devices even I think there is not need because I have only one port on every switch with VLAN 252.

On router I already have configured BGP on interface Ge 0/0/1 with public IP xx.xx.xx.xx  for data and on the same interface I would like to have access  to multicast stream from WAN (user with VLC) to IP 84.255.xxx.xxx:1234. Simple question ...How to do that ? I already read about PIM-SPARS and PIM-DENSE, but i think it is not clear enough and I can't find proper example of configuration. Maybe can anybody suggest where to find some tutorials or some advice, some router configuration......

Any sugestion would be helpfull.

Thank you in advanced.

Boris

8 Replies 8

rais
Level 7
Level 7

I am not sure what are you trying to achive. I think you know that Internet is not multicast enabled.

HTH.

rais thank you for your answer and I know that, and regarding to that I would like to convert from multicast to unicast....

So the IGMP packet will be discarded right at the first hop. Do you have a GRE tunnel from your device to the router at the edge of multicast domain?

rais, first apolgize for slow response, but I was very busy last days. No I don't have GRE tunnel from my device and yes IGMP will be discarded at the first hop.

What can you advice for next step ?

Regards

Boris

Boris,

I have a limited knowledge on multicast and I don't know what else can be done other than somehow tunnel your packets to the multicast domain. I would leave it to the experts.

You can also order Multicast VPN service from ISPs.

Thanks.

rais, your idea with GRE tunnel was also good and I didn't have this sollution in my mind. Thank you for your help in thinking. If any other have another idea in mind ....you are welcome

Boris

rais or any other. Whar is the throughput limit on GRE Tunnel ?

Boris

Not sure what hardware you are using but GRE would add 24 bytes to the packet header. MTU on the interface should be adjusted accordingly as fragmentation would adversely affect the throughput.

Rais.

Getting Started

Find answers to your questions by entering keywords or phrases in the Search bar above. New here? Use these resources to familiarize yourself with the community:

Innovations in Cisco Full Stack Observability - A new webinar from Cisco