Views
Helpful
Replies

multicast routing configuration within a VRF

Alex-Pr
Level 1
Level 1

Hey experts,

Looking for your recommendation for a simple multicast routing setup in VRF lite for a network with spanned layer 2 connections.
Up to now, I have only required multicast to flow within a vlan so all multicast has been managed via igmp snooping.

The network design is a collapsed core with spanned layer 2 vlansThe core acts as the sole router for routing between vlans and it has zones split using VRF lite where an external firewall does all inter VRF routing
I'm now requiring to have multicast routing between a couple vlans within the same VRF
First question, since it is a single hop, should I just use dense mode or stick with sparse mode.  I am assuming to stick with sparse mode.

Here is a basic config example that I was thinking

ip vrf ZONE1   #### creating a VRF zone

ip multicast-routing vrf ZONE1 #### enabling multicast routing with Zone 1

ip pim vrf ZONE1 rp-address 10.1.10.1     ##### setting the RP for vlan 10 

interface vlan 10

ip vrf forwarding ZONE1   ###  adding vlan 10 to VRF Zone 1
ip address 10.1.10.1 255.255.255.0 
ip pim sparse-mode   #### enabling multicast routing for vlan 10 within zone 1

interface vlan 20

ip vrf forwarding ZONE1  ###  adding vlan 20 to VRF Zone 1

ip address 10.1.20.1 255.255.255.0
ip pim sparse-mode  #### enabling multicast routing for vlan 20 within zone 1

Does this look correct or is there anything you will change?

To confirm, 

- interfaces that I do not run the command

ip pim sparse-mode

will not participate in multicast routing (only layer 2 multicast) 

- Running these same commands for a vrf ZONE2 will have the same effect on VRF zone2 however zone 1 and zone 2 will have no knowledge or routing between each other (they remain segregated) 

- All the layer 2 multicast will remain functioning as is via igmp snooping

Thank you so much for your help

truly appreciated!

1 Accepted Solution

Accepted Solutions

mlund
Level 7
Level 7

Yes to all your questions. This will work as you expect. Normally you use a loopback for rp, but in this scenario with only one router, the rp as an vlan interface works well.

View solution in original post

1 Reply 1

mlund
Level 7
Level 7

Yes to all your questions. This will work as you expect. Normally you use a loopback for rp, but in this scenario with only one router, the rp as an vlan interface works well.

Getting Started

Find answers to your questions by entering keywords or phrases in the Search bar above. New here? Use these resources to familiarize yourself with the community:

Review Cisco Networking products for a $25 gift card