Views
Helpful
Replies

Multicast Traffic not failing to Alternate Static Route

mfaisal02tl
Level 1
Level 1

Greetings,

In our network environment, We have core switch connects to two routers. The routers connects to dual dark fiber WAN setup to our other site(site-B). We have to reach to the multicast source from Core switch of Site A over dual routers to Site B. Between core switch and router1, we have reverse route to reach to multicast source in order to establish RPF path, which is tracking an IP SLA. Similarly, we have static route to same destination through Router-2 interface but with higher AD value.

Our intention was to establish a failover mechanism to reach to multicast source. We tested failover by shutdown interface between Core switch and router 1. However, reachability to multicast source didn't failover through router-2. 

Can someone please clarify if failover of reaching multicast source is possible through our configured static routes. If not, then what can be the possible alternatives ?

Thanks in Advance,

Regards,

Faisal

1 Reply 1

pigallo
Cisco Employee
Cisco Employee

Hello @mfaisal02tl ,

@mfaisal02tl wrote:

Greetings,

Can someone please clarify if failover of reaching multicast source is possible through our configured static routes. If not, then what can be the possible alternatives ?

Thanks in Advance,

Regards,

Faisal

i'm not sure if i understood your statement. Basically it's the source that should reach the receiver not the other way around.

PIM has not native control built in to support link redundancy so you should rely on other feature.

Off the top of my head i can mainly think to MoFRR which enables this type of service.
You can give a shot and test HSRP aware PIM too which allows PIM traffic to leverage HSRP redundancy protocol.

Which platforms and releases are you using on your 2 routers?

Regards,

Review Cisco Networking for a $25 gift card