cancel
Views
Helpful
Replies

Multicast

TekashiSixNine
Level 1
Level 1

Hello, I have MPLS backbone and I want to enable multicast. I want to use IGMPv2 and PIM (sparse mode maybe) but from so much reading from different sites I am confused how to configure them. I need two groups (two CE routers have to be in different groups and the other CE router have to be in these two groups). Can you help me?

3 Replies 3

balaji.bandi
Hall of Fame
Hall of Fame

Not sure what kind of MPLS connection you have, how your network look like, where you looking to enable Multicast and application ?

please refer below example :

https://www.cisco.com/c/en/us/support/docs/multiprotocol-label-switching-mpls/mpls/29220-multicast-mpls-vpn.html

If this is not what you looking, give us your network diagram how they connected ?

BB

***** Rate All Helpful Responses *****

How to Ask The Cisco Community for Help

Can I configure it without mdt; mvrf?

Hi @TekashiSixNine ,

You can definitely get away with just running multicast as an overlay network. This is what a lot of people used to do before the standardization of mVPN. You would just need to configure a GRE tunnel between the two CEs and configure multicast over that tunnel. This will not scale well, but if all you have are two CEs, then it doesn't matter. This is proven approach, as many people have used it.

Regards,

Harold Ritter
Sr Technical Leader
CCIE 4168 (R&S, SP)
harold@cisco.com
México móvil: +52 1 55 8312 4915
Cisco México
Paseo de la Reforma 222
Piso 19
Cuauhtémoc, Juárez
Ciudad de México, 06600
México