Views
Helpful
Replies

Multihomed BGP - 100% Link Load

schimeha1977
Level 1
Level 1

Hi !

I am running into troubles in a multihomed BGP setup.

(GRX Backbone - private network for mobile operators exchanging their GPRS roaming traffic)

one link (Link1) is completely saturated (RX Load)- whereas the load of the other link (Link2) is nearly zero.

So I tried to use "AS PATH PREPEND" on Link1 by adding my AS once which resulted in saturating link2 - the load of Link1 reduces to nearly zero.

What I tried to achieve was some sort of load-balancing - but not a switch to the other redundant link.

I would be very grateful to get some support from you.

Cheers

Hans

2 Replies 2

Hello Hans,

are you multihoming from a single router ? If so, you cannot really do load balancing, just load sharing, since BGP will only select one best path. You will either need to separate the IP address space or the BGP AS numbers in order to achieve the load sharing.

You can post your configuration, and I can try and add the appropriate commands.

You also might want to check the following document:

Load Sharing with BGP in Single and Multihomed Environments: Sample Configurations

http://www.cisco.com/en/US/partner/tech/tk365/technologies_configuration_example09186a00800945bf.shtml#conf4

Regards,

GP

jrahm
Level 1
Level 1

If you have only one subnet to advertise, there's not much you can do unless your ISP is willing to accept a split subnet for use only within its own network (Savvis used to do this)

Getting Started

Find answers to your questions by entering keywords or phrases in the Search bar above. New here? Use these resources to familiarize yourself with the community:

Review Cisco Networking products for a $25 gift card