cancel
Views
Helpful
Replies

Multiple BRI Interfaces Causing Problem with Dialer Interface

rterpstra
Level 1
Level 1

I have a Dailer interface with two BRIs that belong to it. I use the BRIs to backup a frame relay circuit. I have to support up to 256k of bandwidth so i needed four bearer channels. I recently had a problem with the ISDN line that is BRI1/1. I noticed that while this line is in a non-functioning state (it is unable to dial long distance, layer 1 and 2 are still up though) the DDR will not dial and come up when my frame relay drops. It's as if the router will only try using BRI1/1 and as long as calls fail it will not cycle to BRI1/0. If i shut the BRI1/1 interface everything works fine and it will dial using BRI1/0. I was under the impression that when you have more than one interface belonging to a Dialer it would cycle through each interface. When the other interface is functional everything seems to work fine (or as i said, currently with BRI1/1 not being able to dial long distance it will bring up DDR on BRI1/0 if i down the BRI1/1 interface).

Here is my configuration:

interface BRI1/0

no ip address

encapsulation ppp

no ip route-cache

no ip mroute-cache

load-interval 30

no keepalive

dialer pool-member 1

isdn switch-type basic-ni

isdn spid1 xxxxxxxxxx0101 xxxxxxx

isdn spid2 xxxxxxxxxx0101 xxxxxxx

no cdp enable

ppp authentication chap

ppp chap password 7 xxxxxxxxxx

ppp multilink

!

interface BRI1/1

description connected to gai-data

no ip address

encapsulation ppp

no ip route-cache

no ip mroute-cache

load-interval 30

no keepalive

dialer pool-member 1

isdn switch-type basic-ni

isdn spid1 xxxxxxxxxx0101 xxxxxxx

isdn spid2 xxxxxxxxxx0101 xxxxxxx

no cdp enable

ppp authentication chap

ppp chap password 7 xxxxxxxxxx

ppp multilinkb

!

interface Dialer0

ip address xxx.xxx.xxx.xxx xxx.xxx.xxx.xxx

encapsulation ppp

no ip route-cache

no ip mroute-cache

dialer pool 1

dialer remote-name abc123

dialer string 1xxxxxxxxxx

dialer string 1xxxxxxxxxx

dialer load-threshold 1 either

dialer watch-group 8

dialer-group 1

no cdp enable

ppp authentication chap

ppp chap password 7 xxxxxxxxxxxxx

ppp multilink

!

3 Replies 3

KBecker1981
Level 1
Level 1

To clarify.....You have the backup interface and backup delay configuration set on the serial it just wont flip from BRI to BRI while the FR circuit is down.

Its been a long time since I did ISDN but this type of thing is releated to the load-threshold. Even though it is set as low as it will go it is not 0. It will not activate the second line until it see's some tiny amount of traffic which in this case you won't get any.

There is a command 'ppp multilink links minimum' that is normally used to cause multiple circuits to activate without regaurd to load. It should cause the other circuits to attempt to dial even if the first fail.

Well, currently there is an issue with one of the ISDN lines for example. BRI1/1 spids are not sent/valid so that line can't dial or do anything. If i administratively down BRI1/1 then it will switch to dial backup and use BRI1/0. However, so long as BRI1/1 is still "up" it will sit there and try using BRI1/1 and never switch to BRI1/0.

I was unable to find a minimum call value. I found the maximum call setting - but don't think that's going to help me. I seem to remember there being a way to force all channels to dial...but can't find it.

Review Cisco Networking for a $25 gift card