Views
Helpful
Replies

Named IPv6 EIGRP Error

Mehdi.a.majid1
Level 1
Level 1

Hello guys,

I used named EIGRP for IPv4 and IPv6 , for IPv4 it works good, but with IPv6 named EIGRP after configuring the address-family ipv6 unicast autonomous-system 66 then (it automatically makes neighbor relationship with others without the interface cmd #ipv6 eigrp 66) , then if I go to each interface to issue #ipv6 eigrp 66 , I get the below error :

r2(config-if)#ipv6 eigrp 66
%error: as(66) in use by vr(overseas)

router eigrp Overseas
 !
 address-family ipv4 unicast autonomous-system 44
  !
  topology base
  exit-af-topology
  network 3.3.3.3 0.0.0.0
  network 172.16.13.3 0.0.0.0
  network 172.16.23.3 0.0.0.0
  eigrp router-id 3.4.0.0
 exit-address-family
 !
 address-family ipv6 unicast autonomous-system 66
  !
  topology base
  exit-af-topology
  eigrp router-id 3.6.0.0
 exit-address-family

I also attached the whole scenario and the show version show run outputs.

I don't know that if it is something that I do wrong or it is a bug or ...

I appreciate your help.

Oversease-INC.png

R2 Capture.PNG

1 Accepted Solution

Accepted Solutions

Hi Paul

and to answer your last question:

I add the R4 to the topology and yes I did try to shut down the af-interface and then went to the interface and issued #ipv6 eigrp 66,

and the result was :

R4#
R4#conf t
Enter configuration commands, one per line.  End with CNTL/Z.
R4(config)#router eigrp E    
R4(config-router)#address-family ipv6 unicast autonomous-system 66
R4(config-router-af)#af-interface default
R4(config-router-af-interface)#passive-interface
R4(config-router-af-interface)#exit
R4(config-router-af)#eigrp router-id 4.4.0.0
R4(config-router-af)#eigrp router-id 4.6.0.0
R4(config-router-af)#do show ipv6 int bri
GigabitEthernet0/0     [up/up]
    FE80::EC2:F8FF:FECD:3200
    2001::14:4
GigabitEthernet0/1     [administratively down/down]
    unassigned
GigabitEthernet0/2     [administratively down/down]
    unassigned
GigabitEthernet0/3     [administratively down/down]
    unassigned
Loopback4              [up/up]
    2001::4:4
R4(config-router-af)#a
R4(config-router-af)#af-interface g0/0
R4(config-router-af-interface)#no pass
R4(config-router-af-interface)#no passive-interface
R4(config-router-af-interface)#
*Aug 19 14:49:48.957: %DUAL-5-NBRCHANGE: EIGRP-IPv6 66: Neighbor FE80::EC2:F8FF:FE31:5102 (GigabitEthernet0/0) is up: new adjacency
R4(config-router-af-interface)#shu
R4(config-router-af-interface)#shutdown ?
  <cr>

R4(config-router-af-interface)#shutdown
*Aug 19 14:49:55.604: %DUAL-5-NBRCHANGE: EIGRP-IPv6 66: Neighbor FE80::EC2:F8FF:FE31:5102 (GigabitEthernet0/0) is down: interface down
R4(config-router-af)#exi
R4(config-router)#exi
R4(config)#int g0/0
R4(config-if)#ipv6 ei
R4(config-if)#ipv6 eigrp 66
%ERROR: AS(66) in use by VR(E)

now what I see here is:

please confirm if I understand it correctly

when I do use

router eigrp E    

then by default ipv6 eigrp automatically will be activated on all IPv6 interface, unless I shutdown the

af-interface of an interface which will cause the interface to completely be removed from IPv6 eigrp participation , or I can use the passive-interface to have the subnet of that interface to be advertised but no ipv6 eigrp neighbor relationship, which means that there is no any cmd of #ipv6 eigrp 66 like we had in classic ipv6 eigrp approach.

View solution in original post

7 Replies 7

Hello,

I think it only works when you separately configure EIGRP for IPv6:

ipv6 router eigrp 1
eigrp router-id 3.6.0.0

r2(config-if)#ipv6 eigrp 66

Georg Pauwen

Thank you for replying.

yes it works when I use named EIGRP for IPv4 and separately using #ipv6 eigrp 66 , then I can go to each interface and issuing #ipv6 eigrp 66 ,

But I am studying for 300-135 and I need to know that why it is not working when I use named EIGRP for ipv6 , if it is a bug then it is OK , but if I am doing something wrong then I need to solve it.

Hello

Its possible a buggy IOS, how are you labbing this?

Question-  why are you adding the ipv6 eigrp AS66 to the interface when its already being specified in the default AF for ivp6 named eigrp?

It should not as far as I am aware negate you from applying anyway on the interface I was just wondering why you was doing this, In fact it should let you apply multiple AS to the specific interface but unless you have an active routing stanza it will have no affect.

On a side note have you tried to shutdown the AF interface in Overseas for Lo2 IPV6 and see if it let you apply it on the interface then?

Please rate and mark as an accepted solution if you have found any of the information provided useful.
This then could assist others on these forums to find a valuable answer and broadens the community’s global network.

Kind Regards
Paul

paul driver

Thanks for replying.

I used 3 different ios as follows:

1:R2

Cisco IOS Software, IOSv Software (VIOS-ADVENTERPRISEK9-M), Version 15.6(1)T, RELEASE SOFTWARE (fc1)
Technical Support: http://www.cisco.com/techsupport
Copyright (c) 1986-2015 by Cisco Systems, Inc.
Compiled Fri 20-Nov-15 13:39 by prod_rel_team

2:R1

Cisco IOS Software, IOSv Software (VIOS-ADVENTERPRISEK9-M), Version 15.6(2)T, RELEASE SOFTWARE (fc2)
Technical Support: http://www.cisco.com/techsupport
Copyright (c) 1986-2016 by Cisco Systems, Inc.
Compiled Tue 22-Mar-16 16:19 by prod_rel_team

3:SW3
Cisco IOS Software, vios_l2 Software (vios_l2-ADVENTERPRISEK9-M), Experimental Version 15.2(20170321:233949) [mmen 101]
Copyright (c) 1986-2017 by Cisco Systems, Inc.
Compiled Wed 22-Mar-17 08:38 by mmen

the issue is that when I create address-family ipv6 unicast autonomous-system 66 then it automatically enables the IPv6 eigrp on all the IPv6 enabled interfaces and it does not need me to go to each individual interface to issue #ipv6 eigrp 66 , I mean what if I don't want an ipv6 interface to participate in ipv6 eigrp and not be advertised like what we have in traditional approach without using filtering ?

such a problem does not exist with the traditional IPv6 eigrp, by the way the authentication works in IPv6 eigrp named approach as I tested.

I am a little confused here.

and I also used the #af-interface default and used the passive-interface , and the went to each interface to issue #ipv6 eigrp 66 , but again it said :

DSW1(config)#int g0/0
DSW1(config-if)#ipv6 eigrp 10
%ERROR: AS(10) in use by VR(Acme)

but I don't get your question here as you asked:

On a side note have you tried to shutdown the AF interface in Overseas for Lo2 IPV6 and see if it let you apply it on the interface then?

With Regards

Hello

So in the routing stanza of overseas for ipv6 - AF interface loo2 - If you shut it down for As66 and then try to add the ipv6 eigrp xx  in the Loo2 interface itself does it still log an error   The reason why it automatically has joined as66 is my understanding the default AF interface  encompass all interfaces 

Please rate and mark as an accepted solution if you have found any of the information provided useful.
This then could assist others on these forums to find a valuable answer and broadens the community’s global network.

Kind Regards
Paul

Hi Paul

and to answer your last question:

I add the R4 to the topology and yes I did try to shut down the af-interface and then went to the interface and issued #ipv6 eigrp 66,

and the result was :

R4#
R4#conf t
Enter configuration commands, one per line.  End with CNTL/Z.
R4(config)#router eigrp E    
R4(config-router)#address-family ipv6 unicast autonomous-system 66
R4(config-router-af)#af-interface default
R4(config-router-af-interface)#passive-interface
R4(config-router-af)#eigrp router-id 4.4.0.0
R4(config-router-af)#eigrp router-id 4.6.0.0
R4(config-router-af)#do show ipv6 int bri
GigabitEthernet0/0     [up/up]
    2001::14:4
GigabitEthernet0/1     [administratively down/down]
    unassigned
GigabitEthernet0/2     [administratively down/down]
    unassigned
GigabitEthernet0/3     [administratively down/down]
    unassigned
Loopback4              [up/up]
    2001::4:4
R4(config-router-af)#a
R4(config-router-af)#af-interface g0/0
R4(config-router-af-interface)#no pass
R4(config-router-af-interface)#no passive-interface
*Aug 19 14:49:48.957: %DUAL-5-NBRCHANGE: EIGRP-IPv6 66: Neighbor FE80::EC2:F8FF:FE31:5102 (GigabitEthernet0/0) is up: new adjacency
R4(config-router-af-interface)#shu
R4(config-router-af-interface)#shutdown ?
  <cr>

R4(config-router-af-interface)#shutdown
*Aug 19 14:49:55.604: %DUAL-5-NBRCHANGE: EIGRP-IPv6 66: Neighbor FE80::EC2:F8FF:FE31:5102 (GigabitEthernet0/0) is down: interface down
R4(config-router-af)#exi
R4(config-router)#exi
R4(config)#int g0/0
R4(config-if)#ipv6 ei
R4(config-if)#ipv6 eigrp 66
%ERROR: AS(66) in use by VR(E)

now what I see here is:

please confirm if I understand it correctly

when I do use

router eigrp E    

then by default ipv6 eigrp automatically will be activated on all IPv6 interface, unless I shutdown the

af-interface of an interface which will cause the interface to completely be removed from IPv6 eigrp participation , or I can use the passive-interface to have the subnet of that interface to be advertised but no ipv6 eigrp neighbor relationship, which means that there is no any cmd of #ipv6 eigrp 66 like we had in classic ipv6 eigrp approach.

Hello

Yes - Correct thats how I understand it.

Unlike IPV4 classic or named where you would still require to add the network command to advertise a subnet of an interface,  In eigrp IPV6 automatically includes all active interfaces into it, so no need to use the interface ipv6 eigrp command.

Kind Regards
Paul
Review Cisco Networking products for a $25 gift card