cancel
Views
Helpful
Replies

NAT Overload Not Working When Applied to Interface

kcunn27
Level 1
Level 1

In my lab NAT Overload is not working when applied to the interface but it does work when I apply a NAT IP Pool. What configuration am I missing here?

1 Accepted Solution

Accepted Solutions

kcunn27
Level 1
Level 1

I don't know if anyone will ever see this but I solved it. I pulled that command directly from the book and the book was wrong. The correct command IS

#ip nat inside source list ACL-NAT-CAPABLE interface GigabitEthernet0/0 overload

. I did not have

inside

in the original command.

View solution in original post

6 Replies 6

kcunn27
Level 1
Level 1

My lab layout.

kcunn27
Level 1
Level 1

I don't know if anyone will ever see this but I solved it. I pulled that command directly from the book and the book was wrong. The correct command IS

#ip nat inside source list ACL-NAT-CAPABLE interface GigabitEthernet0/0 overload

. I did not have

inside

in the original command.

Thanks, Just helped me complete a school project!

Hello,

on a side note, the original command you used (without the

inside

keyword) would actually work if you would configure your interfaces with

ip nat enable

instead of with

ip nat inside

and

ip nat outside

This is what is called the NAT Virtual Interface feature:

https://www.cisco.com/c/en/us/td/docs/ios-xml/ios/ipaddr_nat/configuration/15-mt/nat-15-mt-book/iadnat-addr-consv.html#GUID-1B07F018-EEE8-40AF-953E-7E674D5E4A23

Hello
Nat can be used either with

domain (ip inside/outside)

or

domain-less (ip nat enable - NVI )

The latter is mostly definitive to vrf nat which performs a routing lookup before and after translation which domain nat doesn't with its nat order of preference 

Looking at your original configuration is you specified domain nat on the physical interface but your nat statement was in the domianless nat format

example:
int x/x
ip nat inside/outside

ip nat source list ...etc
but it should have been:
ip nat inside source list

Please rate and mark as an accepted solution if you have found any of the information provided useful.
This then could assist others on these forums to find a valuable answer and broadens the community’s global network.

Kind Regards
Paul

It is recommended to use

Inside

command in the configuration. 

Good that you found out. 

Please do not hesitate to click the STAR button if you are satisfied with my answer.
Getting Started

Find answers to your questions by entering keywords or phrases in the Search bar above. New here? Use these resources to familiarize yourself with the community: