cancel
Views
Helpful
Replies

NAT rule order CISCO ASDM

jelenb
Beginner
Beginner

I have configured my Cisco ASA to translate internal addresses to external (WAN) interface. Everything works right, internet connection works as expected. 

I have created site to site tunnel between ASA and AWS. I was able to ping resources on AWS from hosts behind ASA but not other way around. I have finally discovered that the problem is with NAT Rules. 

Here is how I have this set up:

1.jpg

If I disable the last rule (#3), I am able to access internal hosts form AWS but I am not able to access internet. 

How do I set this up so when I communicate to and from AWS to inside addresses are not translated, but if I initiate communication from inside to everywhere else but AWS, ASA translates everything to outside (WAN) 

obj-amz (VPC in AWS 196.168.0.0)
obj-SrcNet (Subnet INSIDE - behind ASA 10.0.1.0) 

1 ACCEPTED SOLUTION

Accepted Solutions

Richard Burts
Hall of Fame Guru Hall of Fame Guru
Hall of Fame Guru

This is usually accomplished by configuring a static NAT which translates the inside and outside addresses to themselves, which essentially exempts that traffic from being translated by your rule #3.

HTH

Rick

View solution in original post

7 REPLIES 7

Richard Burts
Hall of Fame Guru Hall of Fame Guru
Hall of Fame Guru

This is usually accomplished by configuring a static NAT which translates the inside and outside addresses to themselves, which essentially exempts that traffic from being translated by your rule #3.

HTH

Rick

Thank you Richard. I have changed rule number 3 (source NAT type) from Dynamic PAT to Static, and it worked as a charm. 

Can you please explain little more on how it works? I really would like understand this concept. Maybe you know some articles or yt tutorials that can be helpful. 

I don't understand why rules number 1 and 2 were not overriding rule number 3

Hello,

have a look at the site linked below, it has a pretty good explanation of how NAT exemptions work...

https://www.practicalnetworking.net/stand-alone/cisco-asa-nat/#asa-identity-nat

This is awesome. Thank you Georg!

Thank you again. I fixed it by following steps from recommended website. I needed to setup NAT exemption rule that does not translate addresses over the tunnel  

I am a bit confused. In a previous response you said that you changed rule 3 and it worked. In the most recent post what I see as rule 2 looks to be the same as original rule 3, not a changed rule.

[edit] Apparently while I was typing my response the post was changed from one saying that there was still a problem to saying that it is fixed. Glad to know that it is fixed.

HTH

Rick

That is correct. I was as confused as you are. Yesterday after I changed rule number 3 to static NAT every worked great. Therefore I got rid of some rules that were not needed and everything was still working out as expected. 

This was not the case anymore this morning... I have no idea why but I followed articles suggested by George, I have set up the exemption rule and now everything seems to be working again.  

Getting Started

Find answers to your questions by entering keywords or phrases in the Search bar above. New here? Use these resources to familiarize yourself with the community: