cancel
Views
Helpful
Replies

Clarification of VRF Route Leaking

AvidPontoon1
Level 1
Level 1

After confirming MPLS L3VPNs and doing some internet breakout tasks. I wanted to have a look at leaking routes between VRFs away from L3VPNs.

I have been able to use a import map within the VRF to import specific routes using a route-map and prefix lists. However want to import routes based on their RT Value within BGP. As these are already on the routes it negates extra complexity with a second route-map so would like to do it that way. Also means less admin overhead on updating prefix lists rather than adding an RT.

I have routes in the IPv4 BGP RIB on a router with ‘RT:1:1’. Having set the ‘route-target import 1:1’ command within the VRF for IPv4 unicast. None of the routes are being imported imported using this method.

I had a feeling that this is because the routes are in the IPv4 Unicast BGP RIB and not the VPNv4 BGP RIB.

Is that a correct assumption? Or should what I’m doing work and I’m doing something wrong?

The routes I’m wanting to import into the VRF aren’t coming from within a VRF on the other side. I’m using a route map to set the extended community RT to 1:1 on export from a BGP neighbour command. However, looking at the routes in the BGP IPv4 RIB do have the RT set to 1:1.

I’m using standard Cisco IOS.

5 Replies 5

Harold Ritter
Cisco Employee
Cisco Employee

Hi @AvidPontoon1 ,

Happy New Year!

> Is that a correct assumption? Or should what I’m doing work and I’m doing something wrong?

That is correct. A route in address family ipv4 unicast will not be imported into a VRF, even though it has the proper RT set. The route leaking feature is the only way to do this.

Regards,

Harold Ritter
Sr Technical Leader
CCIE 4168 (R&S, SP)
harold@cisco.com
México móvil: +52 1 55 8312 4915
Cisco México
Paseo de la Reforma 222
Piso 19
Cuauhtémoc, Juárez
Ciudad de México, 06600
México

Thanks Harold,

Happy New Year to you too!

How would I go about getting this working then? Do I just have to use an import route-map? Or is it better to get the routes into the VPNv4 table and do it that way using the RTs? Not sure what best practice is here?

Hi @AvidPontoon1 ,

If the goal is to mutually leak the routes from global to vrf and vice versa, you can do something like this.

vrf definition test

rd 2:1

!

address-family ipv4

import ipv4 unicast map Global2VRF

export ipv4 unicast map VRF2Global

Regards,

Harold Ritter
Sr Technical Leader
CCIE 4168 (R&S, SP)
harold@cisco.com
México móvil: +52 1 55 8312 4915
Cisco México
Paseo de la Reforma 222
Piso 19
Cuauhtémoc, Juárez
Ciudad de México, 06600
México

Deepak Kumar
VIP Alumni
VIP Alumni

Could you share configuration and bgp output here? A few questions are not clear.

Regards,
Deepak Kumar,
Don't forget to vote and accept the solution if this comment will help you!
Getting Started

Find answers to your questions by entering keywords or phrases in the Search bar above. New here? Use these resources to familiarize yourself with the community:

Review Cisco Networking products for a $25 gift card