Views
Helpful
Replies

NBAR vs. BGP rouete distribution

bghobadi2
Level 1
Level 1

Hello All,

Our circuits are congested with web browsing. We are planning to prevent the user web traffic cross the the MPLS cloud and get out to iNET from our main campus where we have internet presence.

We will be deploying DSL circuits to our remote locations for the user web browsing. In oder to differentiale the HTTP/HTTPS traffic from the business related traffic, I thought to use one or both of the following methods.

NO POLICY BASED ROUTING, please

1. Use NBAR on the routers to differentiate and route different traffic types, HTTP/HTTPS vs. the rest).
2. For the sites that have Cisco 3750 switches, distribute the BGP table to 3750 and add a 0.0.0.0 pointed to DSL.
Since we do not have 3750 in all sites and I do not feel comfortable to bring the BGP table to 3750, I prefer NBAR. But, I am not sure if NBAR can be used for this purpose.
I would appriciate all your help.
Thanks
Bo
2 Replies 2

Jon Marshall
Hall of Fame
Hall of Fame

Bo

NO POLICY BASED ROUTING, please

But why when that is the correct solution. If you use NBAR to classify the traffic how will you then direct traffic to the right link because NBAR doesn't do that ?

Jon

Lei Tian
Cisco Employee
Cisco Employee

Hi Bo,

NBAR doesn't have any routing function. Are you trying to route the traffic based on traffic type? Do you have any specific reason why donot want to use PBR?

HTH,

Lei Tian

Review Cisco Networking for a $25 gift card