Views
Helpful
Replies

Need A Help

pawanharlecisco
Level 1
Level 1

Hello Friends,

As per  topology attached herewith,  i have 2 ISPs,    ISP1 and ISP2. And i have one Cisco 1841 Router with only 2 Ethernet interfaces.My Lan subnet is 192.168.1.0.

My puspose is, i want to configure both ISP1 and ISP2 and my Lan Network on router, without adding any extra interaface. I  also want to configure a nat so that Lan user can go to internet. I wabt to do this using 2 Interfaces.

Please give me your views and suggestion ,so that i can implement this.

Topology is attached herewith.

Regards

Pawan

2 Accepted Solutions

Accepted Solutions

Peter Paluch
Cisco Employee
Cisco Employee

Pawan,

As you do not have more Ethernet interfaces, you will have to use subinterfaces and a VLAN-capable switch to differentiate between LAN, ISP1 and ISP2 connections.

The configuration you can do is called router-on-stick and is a basic scenario for inter-VLAN routing. The idea is to connect the router to a switch using a single physical interface but create VLANs for LAN, ISP1 and ISP2, and on the router, configure subinterfaces for each of these VLANs. Then, you can work with these subinterfaces just as if they were real ports.

The example configuration would contain these steps (please note that I am not following your current port assignments as you indicated them in your JPG file, rather I am suggesting my own - please modify as necessary)

Step 1: Create VLANs on your switch. ISP1 will use VLAN11, ISP2 will use VLAN12. Your LAN will be placed into VLAN20. We will avoid using VLAN1:

vlan 11

name ISP1

!

vlan 12

name ISP2

!

vlan 20

name LAN

!

interface range fa0/1 - 21

description Ports for LAN PCs

switchport mode access

switchport access vlan 20

!

interface fa0/22

description To ISP1

switchport mode access

switchport access vlan 11

!

interface fa0/23

description To ISP2

switchport mode access

switchport access vlan 12

!

interface fa0/24

description To Router

switchport mode trunk

Step 2: The router shall be configured as follows:

interface Fa0/0

no shutdown

!

interface Fa0/0.11

description ISP1 connection

encapsulation dot1q 11

ip address ...

ip nat outside

!

interface Fa0/0.12

description ISP2 connection

encapsulation dot1q 12

ip address ...

ip nat outside

!

interface Fa0/0.20

description LAN connection

encapsulation dot1q 20

ip address 192.168.1.1 255.255.255.0

ip nat inside

!

access-list 1 permit 192.168.1.0 0.0.0.255

!

route-map ISP1 permit 10

match ip address 1

match interface Fa0/0.11

!

route-map ISP2 permit 10

match ip address 1

match interface Fa0/0.12

!

ip nat inside source route-map ISP1 interface Fa0/0.11 overload

ip nat inside source route-map ISP2 interface Fa0/0.12 overload

!

ip route 0.0.0.0 0.0.0.0 ISP1-NEXT-HOP-IP

ip route 0.0.0.0 0.0.0.0 ISP2-NEXT-HOP-IP

The route-map construction used in this example is an extended test to match both on the address to be translated, and on the interface that the packet will be routed through, to make sure that packets going through each ISP will be NATted to that ISP's address space.

Step 3: Connect the router Fa0/0 interface to the Fa0/24 on the switch, connect the ISP1 to the port Fa0/22, ISP2 to the port Fa0/23 on the switch. The LAN clients should be connected to ports Fa0/1-Fa0/21.

Using VLANs, we were able to accomplish all the tasks using a single physical port on your router.

I see your topology exhibit was made in Packet Tracer - I hope I am not solving some kind of your homework

Best regards,

Peter

View solution in original post

Pawan,

Well, yes, there is... but I am afraid it would incur higher loads on your router and possibly decrease the throughput. But I believe you now need any solution that works.

Okay. Let me show you another possible configuration. Remove all configuration that you have added as a result with your discussion with me, and apply the following:

interface Loopback192

ip address 192.0.2.1 255.255.255.252

ip nat inside

interface FastEthernet0/0

ip address X.X.X.X M.M.M.M secondary ! This is the IP for ISP1

no ip redirects

ip nat outside

ip policy route-map PBR

interface FastEthernet 1/0

ip address Y.Y.Y.Y M.M.M.M ! This is the IP for ISP2

no ip redirects

ip nat outside

access-list 100 deny 192.168.1.0 0.0.0.255 192.168.1.0 0.0.0.255

access-list 100 permit 192.168.1.0 0.0.0.255 any

ip nat pool ISP1 X.X.X.X X.X.X.X netmask 255.255.255.252

ip nat pool ISP2 Y.Y.Y.Y Y.Y.Y.Y netmask 255.255.255.252

route-map ISP1 permit 10

match ip address 100

match interface FastEthernet0/0

route-map ISP2 permit 10

match ip address 100

match interface FastEthernet1/0

route-map PBR permit 10

match ip address 100  

set interface Loopback192

ip nat inside source route-map ISP1 pool ISP1 overload

ip nat inside source route-map ISP2 pool ISP2 overload

ip route 0.0.0.0 0.0.0.0 ISP1_NEXT_HOP

ip route 0.0.0.0 0.0.0.0 ISP2_NEXT_HOP

After this works, you may optionally enhance it with your SLA configuration, but this should allow you to use both ISPs and NAT to the correct corresponding space.

Let me know if it worked. And please press your senior for the VLAN-capable switch. All these suggestions are very improper hacks.

Best regards,

Peter

View solution in original post

17 Replies 17

Peter Paluch
Cisco Employee
Cisco Employee

Pawan,

As you do not have more Ethernet interfaces, you will have to use subinterfaces and a VLAN-capable switch to differentiate between LAN, ISP1 and ISP2 connections.

The configuration you can do is called router-on-stick and is a basic scenario for inter-VLAN routing. The idea is to connect the router to a switch using a single physical interface but create VLANs for LAN, ISP1 and ISP2, and on the router, configure subinterfaces for each of these VLANs. Then, you can work with these subinterfaces just as if they were real ports.

The example configuration would contain these steps (please note that I am not following your current port assignments as you indicated them in your JPG file, rather I am suggesting my own - please modify as necessary)

Step 1: Create VLANs on your switch. ISP1 will use VLAN11, ISP2 will use VLAN12. Your LAN will be placed into VLAN20. We will avoid using VLAN1:

vlan 11

name ISP1

!

vlan 12

name ISP2

!

vlan 20

name LAN

!

interface range fa0/1 - 21

description Ports for LAN PCs

switchport mode access

switchport access vlan 20

!

interface fa0/22

description To ISP1

switchport mode access

switchport access vlan 11

!

interface fa0/23

description To ISP2

switchport mode access

switchport access vlan 12

!

interface fa0/24

description To Router

switchport mode trunk

Step 2: The router shall be configured as follows:

interface Fa0/0

no shutdown

!

interface Fa0/0.11

description ISP1 connection

encapsulation dot1q 11

ip address ...

ip nat outside

!

interface Fa0/0.12

description ISP2 connection

encapsulation dot1q 12

ip address ...

ip nat outside

!

interface Fa0/0.20

description LAN connection

encapsulation dot1q 20

ip nat inside

!

access-list 1 permit 192.168.1.0 0.0.0.255

!

route-map ISP1 permit 10

match ip address 1

match interface Fa0/0.11

!

route-map ISP2 permit 10

match ip address 1

match interface Fa0/0.12

!

ip nat inside source route-map ISP1 interface Fa0/0.11 overload

ip nat inside source route-map ISP2 interface Fa0/0.12 overload

!

ip route 0.0.0.0 0.0.0.0 ISP1-NEXT-HOP-IP

ip route 0.0.0.0 0.0.0.0 ISP2-NEXT-HOP-IP

The route-map construction used in this example is an extended test to match both on the address to be translated, and on the interface that the packet will be routed through, to make sure that packets going through each ISP will be NATted to that ISP's address space.

Step 3: Connect the router Fa0/0 interface to the Fa0/24 on the switch, connect the ISP1 to the port Fa0/22, ISP2 to the port Fa0/23 on the switch. The LAN clients should be connected to ports Fa0/1-Fa0/21.

Using VLANs, we were able to accomplish all the tasks using a single physical port on your router.

I see your topology exhibit was made in Packet Tracer - I hope I am not solving some kind of your homework

Best regards,

Peter

Thanks Peter,

I just draw that topolgy on PAcket Tracer to simplify the setup thats it .But i need to implement it on real world.

Thanks for the post.   Actually i already knew this idea for Router on the stick. But i dont have any manageble switch in lan, i have simple unmanged switch. Can u please tell me how can implement the same without manageble switch.

Regards

Pawan

Hello Pawan,

Thank you - please apologize my slightly cheeky comment about the "homework" if that was inappropriate.

Unfortunately, without a switch that supports VLANs, our options are extremely limited. Do you believe it would be impossible to obtain a switch with VLAN support? It does not need to be Cisco at all.

We could try to make a couple of tricks using secondary IP addresses on interfaces but that would mean connecting the LAN and one ISP together on your switch. I am very, very reluctant to do such a scenario as it has a number of security and possible connectivity issues.

By the way, do you obtain your public addresses from ISP by DHCP, or are they statically assigned to you?

Best regards,

Peter

Hello Peter,

thanks for the support.  Actualy we dont have any manageble switch which support vlans.

Please help me to implement without.

Security reason is no matter for the customer. Please guide or suggest me any trick to do so.

I have static ip address given by the ISP.

Regards

Pawan

Pawan

I strongly recommend you don't do that. As Peter has said using secondary IPs and one switch would be a very bad idea.

Believe me, when the customer has been hacked, all their data corrupted and their computers used to attack other sites for which they will be held legally responsible it will be a matter of concern to them.

It's not that we do not want to help but part of your job is to make it very clear to the customer what the implications are if you implement a certain solution.

If the customer can afford and wants 2 ISP connections then it is reasonable to assume they want some sort of redudancy. If you implement a solution without segregating the LAN from the internet you won't have redudancy for very long.

You should talk to the customer, make it clear that with the equipment you have you can only implement a very insecure setup. For the price of a switch that can do 801.q trunking it is not worth the risk.

Jon

Thanks Jon,

For the Suggestion.

i have discussed what u have suggested to me with my Senior. But he is stil  forcing me to implement for a short period of time, only for 1 month. After 1 month he will buy  New ethernet card for router.

Please  help to solve my issue....

Regards

Pawan

Pawan,

Alright - but please be aware that this is a very dangerous configuration. Your senior must be informed, and must take full responsibility if anything goes wrong.

By the way, additional ports for Cisco routers are quite expensive. It would be better to buy a managed switch instead of a HWIC module for your router.

We will connect your LAN and ISP1 together into the switch and to Fa0/0 on router, the ISP2 will be on Fa0/1. The configuration should be as follows:

ip address X.X.X.X M.M.M.M secondary ! This is the IP for ISP1

no ip redirects

ip nat enable

interface FastEthernet 0/1

ip address Y.Y.Y.Y M.M.M.M ! This is the IP for ISP2

ip nat enable

access-list 100 deny 192.168.1.0 0.0.0.255 192.168.1.0 0.0.0.255

access-list 100 permit 192.168.1.0 0.0.0.255 any

ip nat pool ISP1 X.X.X.X X.X.X.X netmask 255.255.255.252 ! Use the public IP on Fa0/0 here twice

ip nat pool ISP2 Y.Y.Y.Y Y.Y.Y.Y netmask 255.255.255.252 ! Use the public IP on Fa0/1 here twice

route-map ISP1 permit 10

match ip address 100

route-map ISP2 permit 10

match ip address 100

match interface FastEthernet0/1

ip nat source route-map ISP1 pool ISP1 overload

ip nat source route-map ISP2 pool ISP2 overload

ip route 0.0.0.0 0.0.0.0 ISP1_NEXT_HOP

ip route 0.0.0.0 0.0.0.0 ISP2_NEXT_HOP

As I have created this configuration in quite a hurry it may not work right out of the box - please make sure you save your original configuration and are able to revert back if this changes are not usable.

Best regards,

Peter

Hi Peter

Thanks for the configuration.

I tried it ,but it is not working. When i intiate a ping from Lan host(192.168.1.10) to 8.8.8.8 it shows RTO. Even there is no translations show in  "sh ip nat trans" command on Router. When i did tracert from Host

(192.168.1.10) it only goes to its gateway(192.168.1.1) rest are timeout.

Please Peter help me.I did exact config as suggested by you.

This Show Run for what i configured.

PolicyR#sh run

Building configuration...

Current configuration : 1295 bytes

!

version 12.4

service timestamps debug datetime msec

service timestamps log datetime msec

no service password-encryption

!

hostname Policy

!

boot-start-marker

boot-end-marker

!

!

no aaa new-model

memory-size iomem 5

!

!

ip cef

!

!

no ip domain lookup

!

!

!

!

ip address x.x.x.1 255.255.255.0 secondary

no ip redirects

ip nat enable

duplex auto

speed auto

!

interface FastEthernet1/0

ip address y.y.y.1 255.255.255.0

ip nat enable

duplex auto

speed auto

!

no ip http server

ip route 0.0.0.0 0.0.0.0 x.x.x.100

ip route 0.0.0.0 0.0.0.0 y.y.y.101

!

!

ip nat pool ISP1 x.x.x.1 x.x.x.2 netmask 255.255.255.252

ip nat pool ISP2 y.y.y.1 y.y.y.2 netmask 255.255.255.252

ip nat source route-map ISP1 pool ISP1 overload

ip nat source route-map ISP2 pool ISP2 overload

!

access-list 100 deny   ip 192.168.1.0 0.0.0.255 192.168.1.0 0.0.0.255

access-list 100 permit ip 192.168.1.0 0.0.0.255 any

route-map ISP2 permit 10

match ip address 100

!

route-map ISP1 permit 10

match ip address 100

!

!

!

control-plane

!

!

line con 0

exec-timeout 0 0

logging synchronous

line aux 0

line vty 0 4

login

!

end

PolicyR#

Thanks

pawan

Pawan,

I have tested the configuration in my lab. The configuration is correct, however, for some reason, using the route-map that matches both the ACL and the outgoing interface does not work correctly with the CEF enabled. However, deactivating CEF is the last thing we would want to do so just for now, we have to do without the route-map.

You have a couple of errors in your configuration:

• In both NAT pools, you must use the same IP address twice. You have used two IP addresses, .1 and .2 which is not what I asked you to do. The only IP address that should be used in a NAT pool is the interface IP address that connects you to the particular ISP.
  • In your route-maps, you have swapped the interfaces, i.e. Fa1/0 in route-map ISP1 and Fa0/0 in route-map ISP2. However, as we are going to ignore the route-maps for now, it does not matter.

So modify your configuration so that it looks as follows:

ip nat pool ISP1 x.x.x.1 x.x.x.1 netmask 255.255.255.252

ip nat pool ISP2 y.y.y.1 y.y.y.1 netmask 255.255.255.252

ip nat source list 100 pool ISP1 overload

ip nat source list 100 pool ISP2 overload

Remove the previous versions of these commands from your configuration and leave the other configuration in place. Also please add the no ip redirects command to your Fa1/0 interface.

I will try to find out whether it is possible to use the route-maps with CEF but I am afraid that the attempts will prove futile. You should get a VLAN-capable switch or a new interface to your router as soon as possible - and even sooner

If you want to display the translation entries you need to use the command show ip nat nvi translation

Best regards,

Peter

Dear Peter ,

Thank You Very Much For the Support. Your configuration worked but it cannot be able to manage multiple gateway .i.e if  ISP1 gets down it connot get sift to ISP 2. To solve this purpose i have configured SLA to manage 2 ISPs. Now everything is working fine. But i have one issue regarding 2 commands command;

1) ip nat source list 100 pool ISP1 overload

2) ip nat source list 100 pool ISP2 overload.

at a time only one command is effetive,thinfg is that  if ISP 1 goes down then i  need to configured "ip nat source list 100 pool ISP2 overload" manually.then internet works.

Please give me any solution for the same, i have mentioned the final config below.

Policy(config)#do sh run

Building configuration...

Current configuration : 1568 bytes

!

version 12.4

service timestamps debug datetime msec

service timestamps log datetime msec

no service password-encryption

!

hostname Policy

!

boot-start-marker

boot-end-marker

!

!

no aaa new-model

memory-size iomem 5

!

!

ip cef

!

!

no ip domain lookup

ip sla monitor 1

type echo protocol ipIcmpEcho 10.10.10.1 source-interface FastEthernet0/0

timeout 1000

threshold 2

frequency 3

ip sla monitor schedule 1 life forever start-time now

!

!

!

track 1 rtr 1 reachability

!

!

description Connt ISP1

ip address x.x.x.x x.x.x.x secondary

ip address 192.168.4.1 255.255.255.0

no ip redirects

ip nat enable

duplex auto

speed auto

!

interface FastEthernet1/0

description Connt ISP2

ip address y.y.y.y y.y.y.y

no ip redirects

ip nat enable

duplex auto

speed auto

!

no ip http server

ip route 0.0.0.0 0.0.0.0 ISP1_IP track 1

ip route 0.0.0.0 0.0.0.0 ISP2_IP 10

!

!

ip nat pool ISP1 x.x.x.1 x.x.x.1 netmask 255.255.255.252

ip nat pool ISP2 y.y.y.1 y.y.y.1 netmask 255.255.255.252

ip nat source list 100 pool ISP1 overload

!

access-list 100 deny   ip 192.168.1.0 0.0.0.255 192.168.1.0 0.0.0.255

access-list 100 permit ip 192.168.1.0 0.0.0.255 any

route-map ISP2 permit 10

match ip address 100

!

route-map ISP1 permit 10

match ip address 100

!

!

!

control-plane

!

!

line con 0

exec-timeout 0 0

logging synchronous

line aux 0

line vty 0 4

login

!

end

Regards

Pawan

Hi,

Can you try with the route-map config from Peter. I've tested this type of design on GNS3 with CEF enabled but with the old ip nat inside and outside commands under interface and it worked.

Regards.

Alain.

Don't forget to rate helpful posts.

Hello Alain,

Yes, I assume that the old ip nat inside and ip nat outside would work but there is a problem with the fact that one of Pawan's interfaces needs to be both in inside and outside network at the same time. There is a kludge about PBRing the packets through a local loopback... perhaps we will have to resort to this solution as I do not see any other way to accomplish what Pawan needs to do right now (have two ip nat inside source or ip nat source commands with two different pools).

The NVI style of configuring this seemed to be a natural way to go, but sadly, there is obviously some nasty bug in CEF. Alain, by the way, can you confirm the bug's presence yourself? Use the following topology of four routers:

R1, R2, R3 - connected to a common LAN, R1=client PC, R2 = Pawan's router, R3 = ISP1

R2/R4 - connected together using another FastEthernet interface

Best regards,

Peter

Hi Peter,

Gonna lab this up and tell you what.

Regards.

Alain.

Don't forget to rate helpful posts.

Hello Peter and cadet alain

Is any other way to resolve the issue.

Regards

Pawan