cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
cancel
Views
Helpful
Replies

Need a simple QOS configuration for point-to-point metro-e connection.

chuckwilson
Level 1
Level 1

I have two offices connected over a 300Mb private-line metroethernet circuit. There are servers and users at both offices. The telco handoff ports are 1Gb on each end, therefore my routers "think" that this is a 1G link.

I need a simple QOS policy to apply that will prevent the routers from trying to transmit more than 300M on this link (causing discards by the telco). Of course, some sort of flow control or buffering is preferred over simply dropping packets.

Any ideas? (a quick sample config would be good!)

Thanks

5 Replies 5

canero
Level 1
Level 1

How much bandwidth is used by tje servers, i think you are trying to prioritize servers against user traffic
. if the circuit is highly saturated using Waas may help more than Qos configuration,

Sent from Cisco Technical Support iPhone App

I do not wish to proritize, classify or mark traffic at this time. I simply wish to control the data flow from each site to the other so that packets are not discarded by the telco.

The link is 300Mb CIR, but it is on 1Gb port handoff so my routers think it is a 1GB connection

nickbonifacio
Level 1
Level 1

Hi Chuck,

Shaping might be your best bet in this case.

On to the (rough) config:

!

ip access-list extended ACL_SHAPE

permit ip any any

class-map match-all CM_SHAPE

match access-group name ACL_SHAPE

policy-map PM_SHAPE

class CM_SHAPE

shape average percent 30 //or use shape average 300000000

int g0/0

service-policy output PM_SHAPE

Remember, you need to do this on the layer 3 interfaces (hopefully routed ports) on both ends.

Then do 'sh policy-map PM_SHAPE' to verify.

Thanks!

Nick

Nick Bonifacio CCIE #38473

Joseph W. Doherty
Hall of Fame
Hall of Fame

Disclaimer

The   Author of this posting offers the information contained within this   posting without consideration and with the reader's understanding that   there's no implied or expressed suitability or fitness for any purpose.   Information provided is for informational purposes only and should not   be construed as rendering professional advice of any kind. Usage of  this  posting's information is solely at reader's own risk.

Liability Disclaimer

In   no event shall Author be liable for any damages whatsoever (including,   without limitation, damages for loss of use, data or profit) arising  out  of the use or inability to use the posting's information even if  Author  has been advised of the possibility of such damage.

Posting

As Nick has also suggested, normally you would want to shape for 300 Mbps.  How that's accomplished depends on your platforms and possibly their IOS versions.

Thanks gentlemen;

Exactly what I was looking for....

Review Cisco Networking products for a $25 gift card