cancel
Views
Helpful
Replies

Need help configuring Linksys router to Cisco Router

jorgeflores4
Level 1
Level 1

Hello community, I am very new to using the CISCO IOS. I would greatly appreciate all recommendations and feedback from this.

Here is the situation:

I have a CISCO 851W router in the garage that I want to connect to my Linksys router in the office, which is connected to the internet.

The 851W is connected from it's WAN port to Lan port 1 of the Linksys router. Now, currently that ethernet cable is a straight-through cable. Does it have to be crossover? If so, I can fix that.

I want the default gateway for the CISCO router to be 192.168.2.1. I am not sure how to configure that.

[IMG]http://i269.photobucket.com/albums/jj44/thejudge07/image_jpeg.jpg[/IMG]

[IMG]http://i269.photobucket.com/albums/jj44/thejudge07/109070_450_216_cache.jpg[/IMG]

Thanks,

Big J

3 Replies 3

Edison Ortiz
Hall of Fame
Hall of Fame

The linksys router won't allow you to NAT multiple subnets out to the internet since it's a SOHO device.

I recommend configuring your 851W for Layer2 only.

If you need to manage it from remote, you can assign an IP address to the SVI (switch virtual interface) to be on the same subnet as the linksys router.

For instance,

interface vlan 1

ip add 192.168.1.150 255.255.255.0

no shutdown

Do not use the WAN port in the 850W to connect to the Linksys but rather use one of the switchports. Ideally, use a crossover cable since you are going switchport to switchport and I'm not sure if linksys supports auto-mdix.

All other devices should also be connected to the 850W switchports.

The Linksys will perform the NAT and routing functions and the 850W will simply be acting as a layer2 switch.

Regards,

Edison

Hey Edison,

That was excellent advice and feedback.

So I have a crossover cable connected to FastEthernet 0.

So if the private class I am using for the linksys is 192.168.1.....

The next address available is .15, so you suggest to make interface vlan 1

192.168.1.15 255.255.255.0 right?

so how do I how does fast ethernet 1-3 get configured if I have them connected to a host?

Thanks.

Default configuration will place those ports on Vlan 1.

Nothing for you to do, plug and play.

Using .15 will be fine as long as you don't have a conflict.

You should be able to ping from the 851W to the Linksys

Review Cisco Networking products for a $25 gift card