Views
Helpful
Replies

Network considerations for core, distribution and access layers

ezel14
Level 1
Level 1

Hello all,

I am configuring a LAN that connects to a WAN. I have configured the HQ routers to have HSRP for the LAN and WAN networks (HQ1 active router). The WAN side is using HSRP, SSO, and IPsec(Hub which connects to spokes). The LAN side has HSRP to the core layer. I am now trying to configure (plan) the LAN side and I am getting confused with the technologies I should be using for the core, distribution and access layers. I am seeking considerations/recommendations from experienced individuals for LAN network design in accordance with my current design. The attached topology better explains what I want to do. Thanks for your time.   

2 Replies 2

Cristian Matei
VIP Alumni
VIP Alumni

Hi,

The main key points here is your budget and technical requirements, everything goes down from there. You can go to work driving a Ferrari or a skateboard; both are good, in different ways, both are bad, in different ways.

. Are the users in the same geographical location? How many total wired endpoints and/or wireless endpoints? Speed requirements for endpoints?

Do you prefer a classic design in the access/distribution layer which is STP based, or a routed based design, or want to go SD Access?

Regards,

Cristian Matei.

Hello Cristian,

Budget is not a problem as this is just for simulation purposes. As for technical requirements, I am trying to create a typical campus network design. 

The end-users within this LAN are in the same geographical location as the other LAN Branches. I am using wired endpoints no wireless. I don't have any speed requirements as of yet. Should I?

I will use a classic design for the access/distribution layer which will be STP based. I have read the core and distribution links should be a point to point L3 port. As of now, I am planning before I implement.  

Regards,

Ezel

Getting Started

Find answers to your questions by entering keywords or phrases in the Search bar above. New here? Use these resources to familiarize yourself with the community:

Review Cisco Networking products for a $25 gift card