Views
Helpful
Replies

Network Diagram

dcanady55
Level 1
Level 1

Hello,

I'm wondering what free tools others have used to build network maps or advice on what's the best kind of design. We have multiple sites along with our headquarters and two data centers. 

Thanks,

7 Replies 7

johnlloyd_13
Level 9
Level 9

hi,

it's still 'best' to create visio maps manually rather than using automated tools/software. this way you'll be also more familiar with your network environment.

you'll need to manually hop on each device (start with core) and issue commands such as show cdp neighbors, show ip interface brief, etc and draw it on MS visio.

Thanks for the responses. I to think it's best to manually find out what's plugged in where. My question wasn't so much on automation of this process but what tools others have used to diagram this out once they know everything.

I'm new to the network admin world and just passed my CCENT and just trying to educate myself on how others do things. 

Hi,

I've been using MS Visio for the longest time to create my network maps. You'll also need 'stencils' (just make a Google search) from Cisco (or other vendor) if you want to make it more real and presentable.

stephenshaw
Level 1
Level 1

Hi,

although I haven't used the drawing portion of Open Office, it's a free download and you can try it to see if it provides the features you're looking for.  As mentioned, best to log into devices to see what is connected to what to develop your diagrams.

Cheers,

Steve

COLBY WEST
Level 1
Level 1

I built this site to provide tips to make better network diagrams. Hope it helps!

http://networkdiagram101.com

Thanks Colby. Your site is one of those hidden gems. Just bought your ebook. You should do a full course on visio network diagrams..

basithharoon
Level 1
Level 1

Hi, 

I had the same issue. But came across https://creately.com/ and they have network diagrams. CISCO, AWS and some general Network diagrams too. I just drag and drop to make the connection and voila, it's like magic. 

Do try it out. 

Getting Started

Find answers to your questions by entering keywords or phrases in the Search bar above. New here? Use these resources to familiarize yourself with the community:

Review Cisco Networking products for a $25 gift card