Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
cancel
Views
Helpful
Replies

New to Cisco - Which is a better switch

Not sure which on to purchase.   Just need a little direction.

Should I assume the higher the model number the newer the product.  Thanks

Cisco Catalyst 3750 Series WS-C3750G-24T-S 24-Port Layer 3 Gigabit Switch
Cisco Catalyst 4948 WS-C4948-S 48 Port L3 Gigabit Switch

10 Replies 10

Hello,

in general, the higher the number, the greater the switching capacity, and the more features the switch has. You need to evaluate what you need the switch for, and what features you need (e.g. how many users do you have, what apps do they run, etc.).

The Cisco Switch Selector is a good start:

https://www.cisco.com/c/dam/assets/prod/switches/cisco-switch-selector-how-to/index.html#/

awesome, thanks

DarylBrooks
Level 1
Level 1
Hi Andy,

These are both end-of-life products, so I'm assuming you're looking to purchase these for a lab/personal environment?

If you could let us know your requirements, we might be able to help with a recommendation.

Daryl

So I'm looking for a gigabit switch that's decent and I can practice routing and switching.

Leo Laohoo
Hall of Fame
Hall of Fame
I'd go with the 3750G.

Are all the ports 1 gigabit or just some

The "G" on the end of the 3750G is for gigabit, i.e. it's copper ports are gig.

Joseph W. Doherty
Hall of Fame
Hall of Fame
No, higher model numbers do not denote "newer". As Georg describes, in general, higher model numbers denote "better". For example, the 4948 has more performance capacity than a 3750G.

If you're looking to "practice", you'll also want to take note what IOS is on the device. Features vary with "feature set" (both those device have "-S", which should indicate they originally has a "base" IOS feature image", although both those devices may have been upgraded to a more feature rich IOS - for example, the original 3750 series offered three different IOS feature sets) and features also vary based on version/release of the IOS.

Thank you Joseph
Which on would you recommend so I can practice my CCNA

3750G are all over e-bay. 4900 is a rare one. I'd still stick with 3750G.
Getting Started

Find answers to your questions by entering keywords or phrases in the Search bar above. New here? Use these resources to familiarize yourself with the community:

Review Cisco Networking products for a $25 gift card