cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
cancel
Views
Helpful
Replies

no-export community with summary address using attribute map- won't it advertise the prefix to direct eBGP neighbor ??

Sandeep Verma
Level 1
Level 1

Hi everyone,

I am trying to change the attribute of a summary route using attribute map. The attribute of the summary gets modified but the prefix is not being advertised to direct eBGP neighbor.

route-map abc permit 10

set community no-export

router bgp 1

aggregate address 10.0.0.0 255.0.0.0 summary-only attribute-map abc

I am using (C7300-K91​P-M), Version 12.2(33)SB​10 software

Sorry, i am also unclear if we need to use send-community towards both iBGP and eBGP neighbors ??

Thanks and Best Regards

Sandeep

2 Replies 2

Rolf Fischer
Level 9
Level 9

Sandeep

as you know, "no-export" means "do not advertise this prefix to eBGP neighbors".

I'm not a BGP expert but I think it depends on the order. When you generate an aggregate locally with an attribute-map that sets the no-export community attribute, the local router won't advertise this aggregate to eBGP neighbors (simply following the above-mentioned rule).

If you want to advertise the aggregate with no-export community set to an eBGP peer, you could do something like this:

ip prefix-list 10/8 permit 10.0.0.0/8
!
route-map SET_NOEXPORT permit 10
 match ip address prefix-list 10/8
 set community no-export
!
router bgp 1
 aggregate-address 10.0.0.0 255.0.0.0 summary-only
 neighbor <eBGP-Peer> send-community
 neighbor <eBGP-Peer> route-map SET_NOEXPORT out
!

The difference is that the no-export community now is not assigned to the aggregate in the local BGP table, but will be set in the update to <eBGP-Peer>.

Whether or not use the send-community command for iBGP peers as well depends on what exactly you want to achieve.

HTH

Rolf

Hello

Following on from Rolfs post:

Notice he has added an important command which is the send community   This is required, As by default bgp will not advertise any communities until this is specified

FYI-

No-export wont advertised outside the AS it being advertised into
No-Advertise - The neighbor you advertise this to wont advertise to any its neighbors (internal/external AS)

access-list permit 1 10.0.0.0 0.255.255.255

route-map NOAVERT
match ip address 1
set community no-advertise

router bgp 1
neighbor x.x.x.x send-community
neighbor x.x.x.x route-map NOAVERT

res

Paul

Please rate and mark as an accepted solution if you have found any of the information provided useful.
This then could assist others on these forums to find a valuable answer and broadens the community’s global network.

Kind Regards
Paul
Review Cisco Networking products for a $25 gift card