cancel
Views
Helpful
Replies

Novice config for 7301<>3750G at home ?

Choc Top
Level 1
Level 1

Hello, my apologies if this is in the wrong section, I could not find any newb subforums.

I am looking to do some self study and implement some real world gear, I would like to purchase a used Cisco Router that can load balance 2 x HFC modem links of 100/40Mb and also connect up to 3750G L3 switch I have.

As its just for home use it wouldn't be doing much more than internet stuff + port forwarding.

Googling 'max throughput' turns up some confusing results for various models.

What would you recommend for a used bargain purchase with some future throughput overhead?

Thanks for your time

3 Replies 3

Hello,

is your ISP providing the cable modem (which usually means you get an Ethernet handoff), or are you looking for a Cisco router with a Cable Modem HWIC ?

In the first case, any of the 800ISR routers should be sufficient. In the latter, the Cisco 1805 has an integrated cable modem, or you can get a 2800/3800ISR, a 3725/3745, or an 1841 with a Cable Modem HWIC. Whether you can get any of these cheap...depends on your budget.

Check the document below for reference:

Cable Modem High-Speed WAN Interface Cards

https://www.cisco.com/c/en/us/td/docs/routers/access/interfaces/ic/hardware/installation/guide/cab_hwic.html

HFC modems both supplied.
Although quite old I went with a 7301 w/ 1GB RAM, a bit overkill I know but it had the interfaces I wanted to play with and the right form factor.

*Cable Modem*

-Dynamic IP

|

|

*Cisco 7301*

-Gigabit Ethernet 0/0 to Cable Modem

-Gigabit Ethernet 0/2 SFP GBIC to Switch

|

|

*Cisco 3750G L3*

-SFP port 52 to Router

-The Eth ports are physically split into 3 sections 1-16, 17-32 & 33-48, I would like 3 separate VLANs for pc/wifi-ap/ipcam to keep it tidy and to learn the process.

First things.

What ip/subnets would you use and on what interfaces to get started?

Review Cisco Networking for a $25 gift card