cancel
Views
Helpful
Replies

OC3/STM-1 to E1

andymwalker
Level 1
Level 1

We've installing a new system for communicating out to 150ish remote sites from a single location. The comms network between them is going to be a single G703/E1 link back to a single location.

The connection at the central location is going to be a number of STM-1 aggregated links - E1 out to each site (2Mbps)

The operation is a Central Ethernet network performing various processing tasks with data frmo a Railway Control System, and the remote sites contain a very small IP network to display the ifnormation

I've been looking at various Cisco products and interface modules, and there are a few which have STM-1 interfaces, however they don't seem to mention it as an aggregation of E1 circuits.

The only one I could find was for the 12000 series. Is trhere a more cost effective option?

Also, any tips for a basic E1 to Ethernet router for each of the 150 ish remote sites?

I'm fine with LAN stuff, and basic routing, this is the first time we've been going over these sorts of networks. We're working out initial cost estimates, and I don't want to spring any suprises.

Thanks

Andy

1 Reply 1

paolo bevilacqua
Hall of Fame
Hall of Fame

You need a channelized STM-1 (OC-3) interface.

There are various router that can have thus, e.g. 7200, 7300, ASR, 7600, GSR.

I recommend you get in touch with your local cisco sales office, reputable consultant, or certified Cisco partner for a reabile and professionaly done desing and implementation.

Review Cisco Networking for a $25 gift card