Views
Helpful
Replies

ODR & CDP Timers

pkhatri
Level 11
Level 11

Hi all,

I've been experimenting with the CDP/ODR timers and have come across something that is confusing me somewhat.

Now I know that when using ODR, the actual IP route info is carried in CDP advertisements. Therefore, you can't really send ODR advertisements independent of CDP advertisements. So here's what I am confused about: when I set the ODR update interval using the 'timers basic' command, the update-interval seems to be totally ignored; the CDP advertisements are still sent at the rate configured using 'cdp timer'. So what, then,is the purpose of the 'update' parameter of the 'timers basic' command ?

Wouldn't it be more intuitive to set the CDP advertisement interval to be the min(CDP-timer-interval, ODR-update-interval) ?

All responses appreciated.

Regards,

Paresh./

2 Replies 2

Hello Paresh,

my understanding is that both CDP and ODR intervals both have to be set in order to refelct a change in the default settings. That is, when you set the ´cdp timer´ to e.g. 10 seconds, you also have to set the ´timers basic´ update interval to 10 seconds. Both values are related...

HTH,

GP

ankurbhasin
Level 9
Level 9

Hi Paresh,

That is correct the CDP plays a very important role in ODR.

CDP timer and ODR interval should be same.

If you change the CDP timer it will never change the ODR timer so to match the CDP timer there should be some command available for ODR to be matched as same as CDP timer and that is the reason Cisco came up with "timers basic" with update option so that you can configure it with same time as configured for cdp update interval.

http://www.cisco.com/univercd/cc/td/doc/product/software/ios120/12cgcr/np1_c/1cprt1/1codr.htm

HTH

Ankur

Getting Started

Find answers to your questions by entering keywords or phrases in the Search bar above. New here? Use these resources to familiarize yourself with the community:

Review Cisco Networking products for a $25 gift card