Views
Helpful
Replies

OER plus HSRP on external linkx

Kypamop
Level 1
Level 1

Hi, NetPros!

I'm trying to design a fail-safe enterprise edge solution. Let me explain... We are using 2 7200 routers and 2 Ethernet connections onto 2 different ISPs.

First requirement is if we are completely losing one of the routers, enterprise network should anyway be reachable via two external paths.

Moreover, second requirement, optional one, to use prefix-forwarding optimization via OER.

However, as i read in OER config. guide, I can't use external interfaces if they had same next-hop address, as it is in my solution.

Please see attached network logical diagram.

Maybe anyone have some ideas to improve my solution...

Thank you for your help.

Best regards, Alex.

1 Reply 1

thomas.chen
Level 6
Level 6

BGP local preference (local-pref) is a discretionary attribute applied to a BGP prefix to specify the degree of preference for that route during route selection. Simply stated, local-pref is a value applied to a BGP prefix; as the local-pref value increases, so does the likelihood that one route will be preferred over an equivalent one. It is therefore simple for the Cisco OER Master Controller to instruct one of the Cisco OER Border Routers to apply the local-pref attribute to a prefix or set of prefixes.

http://www.cisco.com/en/US/products/sw/iosswrel/ps5207/products_white_paper09186a008022dbfa.shtml

Review Cisco Networking for a $25 gift card