cancel
Views
Helpful
Replies

Old Cisco Switch needs password reset

BartaudLescault
Level 1
Level 1

I have one Cisco Router 2800 Series, two Cisco Catalyst 3500XL and one Cisco Catalyst 3550 which need a password reset.

I'm going to start my CCNA studies and I'm planning to use these Cisco equipment for it.

When I connected them through the Serial Port COM1 running the program SecureCRT and I tried to go from User Mode to Privileged Mode they are asking for a password which I do not know.

These are old Cisco equipment the company I work for doesn't use anymore and my company is sending me to study CCNA and I would like to have "Hands On" practice on them.

What do you recommend to do?

Any information about it would be really appreciated if you send it to my E-Mail: ittech5253@gmail.com

31 Replies 31

Not a problem. Kindly review the link below. Hopefully this is available on your router. You can check prior to getting the flash. This will let you TFTP it onto the router. You'll need some sort of TFTP software. If you can do it this way it should be a quick process.

http://www.cisco.com/c/en/us/support/docs/routers/2600-series-multiservice-platforms/12714-76.html

If not, you'll have to xmodem it via the console which will take some time. Here's a link:

http://www.cisco.com/c/en/us/support/docs/routers/2600-series-multiservice-platforms/15085-xmodem-generic.html

chrihussey:

I really need your help.

I have the Cisco Flash Card. I read the Cisco procedure about the installation of the IOS in the Flash Card but for me it was like to read in chinese (I speak 7 languages but none of them is chinese).

I'm going to start my studies of CCNA but I never work in Network before.

I'm a A+ Certified IT Technician and I've been repairing computer since 1983.

After read the Cisco document, I have no clue how to do it.

Can you help me?

Will certainly try:

Does Filezilla had a TFTP option and are you familiar with how to use it?

Are you able to connect a PC or laptop to one of the router's Ethernet ports with a static IP as I explained?

In rommon, if you type a ?, does it give you an option menu. If so please post the output.

What particular things about the procedure did you not understand?

We can take it from there.

chrihussey:

I have Filezilla 3.24.0 I don't know how to use it.

I didn't understand how to connect my laptop to one of the Router's Ethernet ports with a static IP.

In rommon 1 I typed ? and had a lot of options and finished in the prompt rommon 2

Please, help me.

You have an FTP client, which won't work. Try loading the old style 3COM deamon that I'm the most familiar with and let me know if it operates on your laptop. We can set it up once it is working.

http://www.oldversion.com/windows/3com-daemon-2r10

In order to TFTP code onto the flash there needs to be an active Ethernet connection on the router to the TFTP server (your laptop). Assuming the laptop has an Ethernet port, you assign your laptop a static IP and connect the laptop directly to the router. Since the router only has FastEthernet ports you may need an Ethernet crossover cable, if your laptop has a Gig E port you may get away with just a regular Ethernet cable.

The process will be connect your laptop to the router with the static IP and the TFTP deamon running. Then via the console port on the router, configure the IP and TFTP server (laptop) information and then issue the tftpdnld command. The router will then pull the code from the laptop onto the flash.

Was tftpdnld one of the options when you did the ? in rommon?

I know that what I'm going to ask for it's too much.
Please, may I send you the Cisco Flash Card by mail in this way you can install the IOS for me in it? I will pay you for this service:
I really has no clue how to do it. I downloaded 3Com Daemon 2r10 but I've never done this before and I really need this router be working OK for my CCNA studies.

Sorry, but that is not possible. There may also be legal issues with doing that.

If you did the password recovery on the switch, you can certainly do this. Please answer the following questions:

Do you know how to configure a static IP address on your laptop?

Are you able to open the 3com tftp application, so I can tell you how to set it up?

Is tftpdnld an option on the router when doing the ? while in rommon? (3rd time asking)

Finally, if you accomplish this task you will be better for it and have a greater understanding. This can only help your CCNA studies and knowledge.

chrihussey:

Sorry for ask it.

1- Yes, I know how to configure a static IP address on my laptop.

2- Yes, I can open 3Com tftp application. I need your help to configure it.

3- Yes, tftpdnld command is in the router when doing the ? while in rommon

Do you have an Ethernet crossover cable, or understand the concept? Let me know. If not we may have to include your test switch too.

Based on your response we'll may have to try different things, but, in the mean time:

1- Configure your laptop with an IP of 10.1.1.1 255.0.0.0.

2- Configure VLAN1 in your switch with IP 10.1.1.2 255.0.0.0

!
interface Vlan1
 ip address 10.1.1.2 255.0.0.0
 no shutdown
!

3- Connect your laptop to a port on the switch and try to ping 10.1.1.2. (Let me know)

4- Open the 3Com application, In the status column you should see "Listening for TFTP requests on IP address:10.1.1.1"

5- Click on the "Configure TFTP Server" icon on left. A window will pop up and in the "Upload/Download directory:' click on the button on the right and select the folder or location where the IOS is located.

6- Connect the router to a port on the switch, and in via the console in rommon type:

IP_ADDRESS=10.1.1.3
    IP_SUBNET_MASK=255.0.0.0
    DEFAULT_GATEWAY=10.1.1.1
    TFTP_SERVER=10.1.1.1
    TFTP_FILE=type in exact IOS name here

It is all case sensitive and must be typed just as stated.

7- Then type tftpdnld and with any luck you will see the file being transferred in the tftp application on your laptop.

Let me know. Based on results we'll figure it out.

chrihussey:

TFTP error 2 received (could not open requested file for reading).

TFTP: Operation terminated

I typed the path where the IOS file is but it didn't accept "C:\"

Excellent.

Questions:

Did the 3COM application indicate it was seeing the router trying to connect? You'll know when it does in the status column.

Were you able to ping the switch from the router?

Enable portfast on the 3500 switchports that the laptop and router are connected and make sure they are not shut, here's an example:

!
interface FastEthernet0/2

spanning-tree portfast

no shut

!

Then try again. Both port LEDs on the switch should be green indicating they are up.

If that doesn't work connect the router's Ethernet port directly directly to the laptop NIC and try again.

Then If that doesn't work try the same with an ethernet cross-over cable if available.

Finally, the 2801 has two FastEthernet ports, it shouldn't matter, but try all the above with one then the other.

You are almost there.

chrihussey:

I connected the laptop directly to the router and repeated the steps again and I had the screen in the attached file.

What else do you recommend to do?

Reset the router!!!!!!

chrihussey:

IT WORKS!!!!!!!!!!!

You were right. I could do it. It's easy after I know how to do it.

Thank you very very much for your help.

Wish me luck with my CCNA.

Congratulations and best of luck with your CCNA, you are well on your way.

Please rate the discussion and mark correct answers.

Take care

Review Cisco Networking for a $25 gift card