cancel
Views
Helpful
Replies

Oracle and backup performance.

kendalle01
Level 1
Level 1

I'm reading white papers and hearing that to improve Oracle and backup performance, jumbo frames and/or MTU set to 9000. On the server(s) this is easy. However, jumbo frames is not enabled on our switches. The reason (I'm told) is we have too many WAN users. If they were to hit Oracle on a server set to jumbo frames performance would be degraded due to fragmentation. Can someone elaborate on jumbo frames and when or whether they should be used?

1 Reply 1

Danilo Dy
VIP Alumni
VIP Alumni

Hi,

Yes, setting jumbo frames on the switch interface that connects to the server port for oracle backup will improve throughput.

Thus your server only use one port for both apps and backup application? If you use port1 for apps (i.e. WWW, SMTP, FTP, etc) and port2 for oracle backup, it should not affect WAN users.

I don't think bigger mtu in between two hosts with smaller mtu will degrade the performance. I'm more convince if smaller mtu in between two hosts will degrade performace due to fragmentation. ATM which uses a default size 4470 mtu is higher than ethernet mtu of 1500 and nobody complains.

Regards,

Dandy

Review Cisco Networking for a $25 gift card