Views
Helpful
Replies

Original NVCONFIG doesnt have correct MAGIC number

bninnemann
Level 1
Level 1

What exactly does that mean?

NVCONFIG doesn't have correct magic number?

System Bootstrap, Version 12.4(13r)T, RELEASE SOFTWARE (fc1)

Copyright (c) 2006 by cisco Systems, Inc.

PLD version 0x10

GIO ASIC version 0x127

c1841 platform with 131072 Kbytes of main memory

Main memory is configured to 64 bit mode with parity disabled

Readonly ROMMON initialized

program load complete, entry point: 0x8000f000, size: 0xcb80

program load complete, entry point: 0x8000f000, size: 0xcb80

program load complete, entry point: 0x8000f000, size: 0x247e6cc

Self decompressing the image : #################################################

################################################################################

##################################################################### [OK]

IOMEM set to: 25

25 percent IO memory configuration is too large. Decreasing to 29360128 bytes.

PMem allocated: 104857600 bytes

Restricted Rights Legend

Use, duplication, or disclosure by the Government is

subject to restrictions as set forth in subparagraph

(c) of the Commercial Computer Software - Restricted

Rights clause at FAR sec. 52.227-19 and subparagraph

(c) (1) (ii) of the Rights in Technical Data and Computer

Software clause at DFARS sec. 252.227-7013.

cisco Systems, Inc.

170 West Tasman Drive

San Jose, California 95134-1706

Cisco IOS Software, 1841 Software (C1841-ADVIPSERVICESK9-M), Version 12.4(24)T1,

RELEASE SOFTWARE (fc3)

Copyright (c) 1986-2009 by Cisco Systems, Inc.

Compiled Fri 19-Jun-09 13:56 by prod_rel_team

Original NVCONFIG doesnt have correct MAGIC number

Recovering from BACKUP

This product contains cryptographic features and is subject to United

States and local country laws governing import, export, transfer and

use. Delivery of Cisco cryptographic products does not imply

third-party authority to import, export, distribute or use encryption.

Importers, exporters, distributors and users are responsible for

compliance with U.S. and local country laws. By using this product you

agree to comply with applicable laws and regulations. If you are unable

to comply with U.S. and local laws, return this product immediately.

Installed image archive

Cisco 1841 (revision 7.0) with 102400K/28672K bytes of memory.

Processor board ID FTX134680AL

2 FastEthernet interfaces

1 Virtual Private Network (VPN) Module

DRAM configuration is 64 bits wide with parity disabled.

191K bytes of NVRAM.

62720K bytes of ATA CompactFlash (Read/Write)

--- System Configuration Dialog ---

Would you like to enter the initial configuration dialog? [yes/no]:

1 Accepted Solution

Accepted Solutions

Hi Ben,

If this is the only issue related to the behavior of this router then it should be fine for education purposes. At worst, you will be unable to store the configuration and it won't be loaded during the next router bootup. It is also possible that the sequence of steps as described before will correct the issue. You could theoretically ask the seller to perform these steps for you - hopefully, he won't increase the price afterwards if the problem is corrected

Nevertheless, this may suggest a hardware problem, but if it is limited to the NVRAM, the router will still be usable.

Best regards,

Peter

View solution in original post

4 Replies 4

willymaldonado1
Level 1
Level 1

have you recently up dated your ios, if you have it looks like it's to big for the memory in the device

IOMEM set to: 25

25 percent IO memory configuration is too large. Decreasing to 29360128 bytes.

PMem allocated: 104857600 bytes

2nd option is that your IOS got erased from FLASH: and there is no image to load.. and you will have to load one up...... if thats the case let me know and I'll post prosedures to upload a new ios to the device...

Best regards

Willy

Hi Willy,

The IOMEM message is not directly related to a lack of RAM - it is probably related to some previous configuration of the router where 25% of the RAM were reserved for I/O operations, and the IOS considers this value to be overly large and decreases it. However, it should not be related to the problem with incorrect magic NVRAM number. Also, the IOS is clearly loaded without any problem - it can not be erased, then (not even mentioning that erasing the IOS has nothing to do with NVRAM that contains the configuration file).

Benjamin, can you try entering the erase nvram: command, allowing the router to erase the NVRAM contents, and then issue the copy running-config startup-config to store the current running-config to the NVRAM (even if empty)? These operations should reinitialize the NVRAM contents, possibly with correcting the magic number.

Best regards,

Peter

Thanks for the reply, i actually don't have the router. I'm an IT student looking for some fair priced gear to practice with, etc. This specific router in on Ebay and the guy that has it doesn't really know anything about cisco.

For what it's worth, here's the ebay link:

http://www.ebay.com/itm/370603494743

I am trying to determine if this would be a purchase I would end up regretting. If it's just a matter of removing any data on the router and putting it back, i can handle that fine, i'm just worried about finding a hardware failure problem.

Hi Ben,

If this is the only issue related to the behavior of this router then it should be fine for education purposes. At worst, you will be unable to store the configuration and it won't be loaded during the next router bootup. It is also possible that the sequence of steps as described before will correct the issue. You could theoretically ask the seller to perform these steps for you - hopefully, he won't increase the price afterwards if the problem is corrected

Nevertheless, this may suggest a hardware problem, but if it is limited to the NVRAM, the router will still be usable.

Best regards,

Peter

Getting Started

Find answers to your questions by entering keywords or phrases in the Search bar above. New here? Use these resources to familiarize yourself with the community:

Review Cisco Networking products for a $25 gift card