cancel
Views
Helpful
Replies

OSPF and BGP routing

HW2022
Level 1
Level 1

Hi, I've been trying to connect my 3 different network locations together using OSPF and BGP. OSPF for inside each network location, and BGP for connecting each network together. Each location is an autonomous system including the internet.

However, the PC's in each location cannot ping the router side which connects to the internet. This means each site cannot communicate with each other.

My network is attached and any help would be appreciated.

14 Replies 14

Hello,

there is no BGP configured on any of the Internet routers. What topology are you trying to build, what do you want to accomplish ?

I'm kinda new to this, I'll put BGP bridge routers for the internet routers. My ideal topology is to have each network location connected to the internet. If that's what you mean by topology. Each location and the internet is an autonomous system and each location is in a hierarchical design and should be able to talk to each other.

Hello,

it is best to draw out what you want to configure: a drawing with ALL routers involved, then draw a circle around the routers you want to configure for OSPF, and a circle around those you want to configure for BGP. That way it becomes clearer what you have in mind.

I attached what my idea is. The second image is what each location will look like.

Hello
Your PT file is password protected so at this time we cannot view your current  configuration of the rtrs .

However based on your OP independent sites that are running an igp such as ospf and then having a external transit network as bgp for wan connectivity would require some redistribution of each site ospf internal routes into the bgp process at each location and if applicable advertising a default into ospf for each the site negating the possible requirement of mutual redistribution which is not really recommended given the size of a full external bgp routing table.

Please rate and mark as an accepted solution if you have found any of the information provided useful.
This then could assist others on these forums to find a valuable answer and broadens the community’s global network.

Kind Regards
Paul

Hi, I'm a beginner to this but from what I cant tell you think the external transit network (internet) should have bgp to redistribute each site's ospf routes. I'll try that now.

The password for devices is cisco

Hi

It seems that you built the topology a bit different from what you intend to. You are redistributing OSPF into BGP but you actually dont have BGP.

I suggest you to build like this. It is a lot to configure, so, try to build this ask for help when necessary. 

ospf-bgp.png

Hell,

As @Georg Pauwen mentioned, there is no BGP configured on the internet routers. You have neighbor statements on your remote routers but those neighbors aren't up because the remotes side (internet routers) are not configured.

Second note. When I tried to configure iBGP between the internet routers for full connectivity it said this version of packet tracer does not support iBGP. You may have to redistribute into another IGP protocol or upgrade your packet tracer for full connectivity.

-David

HW2022
Level 1
Level 1

Taking all of your feedback on board @Georg Pauwen @David Ruess @paul driver , I created bgp bridges within the internet AS for redistribution. However, still unable to ping the bridge ports on the PC's. I attached this new version

Would this be another solution @Flavio Miranda as I had already started this solution before you replied?

@David Ruess I haven't yet ran into that compatibility issue you mentioned?

Thanks everyone for the help.

Hello
Ospf and bgp are complex routing process and interoperability between them on a live production network isnt something you just would work on if you dont have any prior knowledge how they work. Plus any solution provided now wouldn't no doubt be the one to apply if it was indeed a production network 

Simulations are a great way to learn however possibly suggest you review some routing protocol basics to obtain some degree of skill set to proceed 

A solution could be provided here but i believe it wouldn’t assist you without a detailed explanation on how it was complied.

Please rate and mark as an accepted solution if you have found any of the information provided useful.
This then could assist others on these forums to find a valuable answer and broadens the community’s global network.

Kind Regards
Paul

Hi, would you say my new solution is anywhere close? Based on what I have learnt from others here this should be pretty close to working? Or am I missing something big?

Hello
From other posts yes you are missing BGP and that is something “big” IF that is what you require?

Can you confirm what  kind of transit media do you have between sites - mpls/vpls/raw internet/vpn etc…
Is ospf /bgp something you use at present for internal/external communication, is it all ebgp peering between sites, What kind of hardware are you using - can they support full internet route tables or is this a lab solely for learning  purposes or maybe even a school/college/university project?

Apologies for such terse questions but you  need to elaborate on your OP .

Kind Regards
Paul

Hi, I included another draft of the network in another comment above which includes the BGP which was missing. 
This is self study to help me to prepare for an assignment which is purely packet  tracer only. This might explain my lack of knowledge in some areas. The idea for transit between sites is entirely over the internet which is represented as an autonomous system with ospf inside and bgp to connect it to each site location.

Hope this clears some things up.

Hello

Thank you for the additional information and based on thiat topology it seems you are looking to communicatee between sites via a bgp/mpls vpn solution thus using the ospf backbone as the transit network then each customer site being able to export/import routes based on the vpn they are assigned to.(mpls l3 vpn)

Please review the following:
MPLS L3 VPN
MPBGP MPLS

Kind Regards
Paul
Review Cisco Networking for a $25 gift card