Views
Helpful
Replies

OSPF default-information originate head scratcher

markah
Level 1
Level 1

Hi,

I'm looking at a current issue where we have 2 x ASBR routers also peering with BGP neighbors where the default-route is received. Local preference configuration on the ASBR routers influence the preferred outbound path and ASBR-1 installs the eBGP default in to it's routing table. ASBR 2 has an iBGP entry for the default route as they are peering with each other. 

The same 2 ASBR routers are configured with the 'default-information originate' command in OSPF. These ASBRs then both connect to an upstream switch configured to run ospf (everything is in area0)

What appears to be happening is that ASBR-1 with the eBGP default in its routing table is starts advertising the default to it's OSPF neighbors (ASBR-2 and the downstream switch). ASBR-2 then installs this OSPF learnt default in its routing table as it has a better AD than the iBGP learnt route).
Now that ASBR-2 has the both the iBGP leant default and the OSPF learnt default entries it prefers the OSPF route learnt from ASBR-1 and installs it in the routing table. ASBR-2 at this point starts advertising the default route due to having the default-information originate command and the valid OSPF route in its routing table.

Is this normal behaviour?

this behavious is leading to a routing loop because both ASBR-1 and ASBR-2 are now advertising the default route to the downstream switch. The downstream switch now has equal cost default routes via either ASBR. Due to link costs ASBR-2's best path to the default (advertised by ASBR-1) is via the downstream switch. This results in some traffic from ASBR-2 following the default to the downstream switch which then forwards some of the traffic back creating a loop.

I'd like add that this issue isn't my own creation and I have a couple of solutions in mind. More curious if this is a bug or just down to misconfiguration.

One more point is that ASBR-2 will at times stop advertising the default. When I issue the show ip database external 0.0.0.0 detail (or something similar, not at a device to check syntax) at this time there is only one Type-5 LSA which is via ASBR-1.

Thanks

16 Replies 16

Bro your ASR which is edge router we will config it to inject default route into OSPF not Core SW.

here even if you config Core SW with different metric not help to prevent loop.

OK

Review Cisco Networking for a $25 gift card