Views
Helpful
Replies

OSPF (DR and BDR)

wolniqking1
Level 1
Level 1

Hey Everyone, 

I got a doubt as we were part of the discussion with my techie guys. 

Question: Can we configure OSPF without DR and BDR?

Thank You, 

RSJ

1 Accepted Solution

Accepted Solutions

Yes , OSPF can be configured without DR, BDR . 

DR, BDR election depends on the type of OSPF network that is configured , For eg: 

1)  On a serial link  by default OSPF network type is Point to Point , and in this no DR, BDR election takes place .

2) While on an ethernet link the default OSPF network type is Broadcast(Used in Full mesh Topology )   , and in this DR , BDR election will be done .

- Similarly there are Point to Multipoint & P2MP Non Broadcast OSPF network types (Used in Hub & Spoke Topology )  , for them also no DR, BDR election will take place .

Spooster IT Services Team

View solution in original post

4 Replies 4

Hello
Yes you can, it depends on what ospf network type is chosen that will stiipulate if DR /BDR election take place.

Those valid ospf network types are:

Non-Broadcast
Broadcast

Please rate and mark as an accepted solution if you have found any of the information provided useful.
This then could assist others on these forums to find a valuable answer and broadens the community’s global network.

Kind Regards
Paul

Yes , OSPF can be configured without DR, BDR . 

DR, BDR election depends on the type of OSPF network that is configured , For eg: 

1)  On a serial link  by default OSPF network type is Point to Point , and in this no DR, BDR election takes place .

2) While on an ethernet link the default OSPF network type is Broadcast(Used in Full mesh Topology )   , and in this DR , BDR election will be done .

- Similarly there are Point to Multipoint & P2MP Non Broadcast OSPF network types (Used in Hub & Spoke Topology )  , for them also no DR, BDR election will take place .

Spooster IT Services Team

Joseph W. Doherty
Hall of Fame
Hall of Fame

I believe the answer is yes, as also described by the other posters.

The reason I "believe" is because I know you can use p2p on broadcast medium for a pair of OSPF routers (and it's done to slightly increase efficiency).  However, if you have more than two OSPF routers sharing a subnet, on broadcast medium, I believe point to multi-point (also mentioned by @Spooster IT Services ) could be used instead; however it wouldn't be quite as efficient and/or recover if the "hub" router fails, I believe.

why you think that OSPF need DR/BDR to work ??

Review Cisco Networking for a $25 gift card