cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
cancel
Views
Helpful
Replies

ospf external path selection with different metric.

syjeon
Level 1
Level 1

Hi,

we are planning to put the another circuit for backup traffic replication purpose between two datacenter.

there is already normal MPLS circuit, so, another 10G circuit will be installed between two datacenter.

my intention is to configure different metric when BGP external routes redistributed into OSPF on two BGP routers.

when I tested, I checked lower metric is preferred to select the routing path always.

I think it is working as my original plan. Can someone review the attached diagram and give me thought so we are fine with this approach to go?

1 Accepted Solution

Accepted Solutions

Hello

This is a good solution we use this a lot in duel isp peerings  - the majority of the times we tend just to receive only a default from the ebgp pears and distribute a ospf default into the L3 cores with a preferred lower ospf metruc type for the primary path .wirkd a treat!

res

Paul 

Please rate and mark as an accepted solution if you have found any of the information provided useful.
This then could assist others on these forums to find a valuable answer and broadens the community’s global network.

Kind Regards
Paul

View solution in original post

3 Replies 3

Harold Ritter
Cisco Employee
Cisco Employee

Hi,

The best would be to redistribute the primary path as an external type 1 and the backup path as an external type 2. This way the primary would always be preferred over the secondary, regardless of what the topology looks like.

Regards,

Harold Ritter
Sr Technical Leader
CCIE 4168 (R&S, SP)
harold@cisco.com
México móvil: +52 1 55 8312 4915
Cisco México
Paseo de la Reforma 222
Piso 19
Cuauhtémoc, Juárez
Ciudad de México, 06600
México

Hi, 

thanks, it is another workaround likely you said. in case of when BGP routes are redistributed into OSPF with type-1 in different metric, can I archive the goal what I'd like to do?

according to the test result of simulation, it did work seems the lower metric is preferred to select routing path by OSPF

Hello

This is a good solution we use this a lot in duel isp peerings  - the majority of the times we tend just to receive only a default from the ebgp pears and distribute a ospf default into the L3 cores with a preferred lower ospf metruc type for the primary path .wirkd a treat!

res

Paul 

Please rate and mark as an accepted solution if you have found any of the information provided useful.
This then could assist others on these forums to find a valuable answer and broadens the community’s global network.

Kind Regards
Paul
Getting Started

Find answers to your questions by entering keywords or phrases in the Search bar above. New here? Use these resources to familiarize yourself with the community: