cancel
Views
Helpful
Replies

OSPF Path Selection

misaleh
Level 1
Level 1

Below is a summary of a scenario that's happening with me in real life. There are two Internet links, the one connected to ISP A has a 100 Mb/s speed and the one connected to ISP B has a 50 MB/s speed. Router 2 has an OSPF neighborship with Router 0 and Router 1. Router 0 and Router 1 have an OSPF neighborship with Multilayer Switch 0. What's happening now is that when PC1 tries to go to the internet, sometimes it's going through ISP A and sometimes it's going through ISP B. What I'm trying to achieve is that I want anyone in the remote site that's using the internet to use ISP-A and if the connection to ISP A goes down, then they used ISP B. I've tried increasing the cost on Router 2 on the interface connected to ISP B, but nothing happened. Both links to ISPs were being utilized. I've attached a screenshot of the design and also a packet tracer file. Any help would be really appreciated. 

Capture.PNG

16 Replies 16

Of course it will still be utilized. The cost only affects the OSPF learned routes. You still have locally connected routes it can get it that have a lower AD than OSPF. Plus return traffic is still load balancing. You could try increasing the cost of R0s g0/1 interface to say 10. See if that works. And like I said the connected network between R0 and R2 is local so it’ll still use that for traffic to reach it.

The design is bad, I recommend you to modify the topology to meet the real scenario.

Review Cisco Networking products for a $25 gift card