Views
Helpful
Replies

OSPF prior to backup static route

Bruno Silva
Level 1
Level 1

Hi good fellows,

I'm feeling very much problems to make a solution for my client.

The point is, i have a L3 switch with:

- one link with OSPF, and that link it's the major link.

- now, i want to install another link, for backup, and i don´t know how to make it a backup....

1. I can configure a static route but if it is available it will always choose the new link, and i want it for backup.

2. If i configure that static route with another priority, greater than OSPF, could be a possibility but OSPF will always generate the route because interface will be always on and i can´t configure SLA on it to see link availability in L3.

3.If i configure IP SLA for the static route it will be the major link, that is not also an option...

Can you give me some suggestions?

Thanks in advance!

Bruno

18 Replies 18

Hello Paul...
The backup vpn links terminate on the Asa, but once you talk about it, i think it should be better terminate it on central rtr.
Yes, all links are in the same area... i i'll put all the backup links in another area. I think it is the solution you are given to me...
"define a non backbone area for the backup link".... i don´t understand. How can i do this?

thanks!

I guess you can also try to use EEM script on ur central router if u can't use  OSPF on the second link . EEM script will check and if neighbor is down than will shutdown the primary interface so second route will be established. 

Hello

You could have the backup links in a non backbone area ( area 1) as such ospf will always prefer the default area 0 over non backbone areas no mater what cost/Bw you apply to the interfaces

I think a better understanding of you topology is required but you do have various options to accommodate your request

res

Paul

Please rate and mark as an accepted solution if you have found any of the information provided useful.
This then could assist others on these forums to find a valuable answer and broadens the community’s global network.

Kind Regards
Paul

Hello Paul...

in fact, i only have one option... is configuring a parallel OSPF.

Review Cisco Networking for a $25 gift card