cancel
Views
Helpful
Replies

ospf redistribution command

tom_chan
Level 1
Level 1

When we update the ospf redistribution command, should we completely remove the existing ospf redistribution command and then add the new command as below?

router ospf 100

router-id xx.xx.xx.xx

redistribute odr metric 1 metric-type 1 subnets                            <-- line 1 (remove)

redistribute odr metric-type 1 route-map ROUTEMAP subnets   <-- line 2 (newly add)

Or we simply type in the new command (line 2) without removing the existing one (line 1)?

Will the different model of Cisco routers behave differently when updating the ospf redistribution command?

We are using C3845 router.

Regards

1 Accepted Solution

Accepted Solutions

aaron.conaway
Level 1
Level 1

In my experience, when you add to the redistribution (like you did above), it will take the new settings.  I'm sure this is done intentionally so that there's not some length of time where the routes won't be redistributed at all while you type the new command.

Related : When you try to negate the redistribution, you have to be more careful.  If you do a "no redistribute odr <YOUR FULL LINE>", then only the details of the redistribution will be removed.  You have to do a "no redistribute odr" to remove it completely.  Here's some output from one of my lab routers showing what I'm talking about.

R3(config-router)#redistribute odr metric-type 1 route-map RM subnets

R3(config-router)#do show run | section ospf

router ospf 100

log-adjacency-changes

redistribute odr metric 1 metric-type 1 subnets route-map RM

R3(config-router)#no redistribute odr metric-type 1 route-map RM subnets

router ospf 100

log-adjacency-changes

redistribute odr metric 1

R3(config-router)#no redistribute odr

router ospf 100

log-adjacency-changes

I don't believe this is platform specific. If there are differences, it would be between IOS versions or trains.  Someone should correct me if I'm wrong here.

-- Aaron

View solution in original post

2 Replies 2

Hi Chun,

Yes. you have to remove the old command if your intention is to replace the old command with new one.  however in live production please insert the new command and then remove old entry.

Please refer below link for more information about Redistributing

Redistributing Routing Protocols - Cisco

http://www.cisco.com/c/en/us/support/docs/ip/enhanced-interior-gateway-routing-protocol-eigrp/8606-redist.html

Hope this helps

Niluka

aaron.conaway
Level 1
Level 1

In my experience, when you add to the redistribution (like you did above), it will take the new settings.  I'm sure this is done intentionally so that there's not some length of time where the routes won't be redistributed at all while you type the new command.

Related : When you try to negate the redistribution, you have to be more careful.  If you do a "no redistribute odr <YOUR FULL LINE>", then only the details of the redistribution will be removed.  You have to do a "no redistribute odr" to remove it completely.  Here's some output from one of my lab routers showing what I'm talking about.

R3(config-router)#redistribute odr metric-type 1 route-map RM subnets

router ospf 100

log-adjacency-changes

redistribute odr metric 1 metric-type 1 subnets route-map RM

R3(config-router)#no redistribute odr metric-type 1 route-map RM subnets

router ospf 100

log-adjacency-changes

redistribute odr metric 1

R3(config-router)#no redistribute odr

router ospf 100

log-adjacency-changes

I don't believe this is platform specific. If there are differences, it would be between IOS versions or trains.  Someone should correct me if I'm wrong here.

-- Aaron

Getting Started

Find answers to your questions by entering keywords or phrases in the Search bar above. New here? Use these resources to familiarize yourself with the community:

Review Cisco Networking products for a $25 gift card