Views
Helpful
Replies

OSPF specific route change path

Timohamoto
Level 1
Level 1

Hi Guys!

How to prioritize route 2.2.2.2 thru R8? Does it possible to match some policy and to put better metric then it now? For current situation for 2.2.2.2 it's multipath coming from R8 and R7 with OSPF metric 6.

But if I set maximum path to 1, it comes from R7. So I want exactly 2.2.2.2 from R8 and everything else no matter, let it go from R7 or R8 independenly. If I play with ip ospf cost on interface it will make all paths comes from prioritezed router. So I need something like policy, to match exactly route and set ospf cost to it. Does it possible?

2.png

2 Accepted Solutions

Accepted Solutions

@Timohamoto - Basically you're right, the router-id is the tie break, but I think there are some exceptions.

Can I see an output of the on R7:

show ip ospf neighbors 

show ip route ospf (with 1 path and 2 paths)

I want to see how is the prefix known to OSPF.

Thanks,

Calin

View solution in original post

When you changed router-id on R9, did you cleared the ospf process? If so, did you do it on R9 and R8?

Thanks
Francesco
PS: Please don't forget to rate and select as validated answer if this answered your question

View solution in original post

11 Replies 11

Troy Jackson
Level 1
Level 1

I'm not sure if you are thinking about using a route-map here. But you can't because the OSPF database needs to be consistent on all the routers within an area. You could use PBR or static routes. I just can't think of another way. 

Please remember to rate useful posts, by clicking on the star below.
-Troy J.

Francesco Molino
VIP Alumni
VIP Alumni

Hi

You don't have too much choices.
Is there any mpls in this design?

If not, you can play with costs along the path or use PBR to force the traffic out through certain specific interfaces like @troy said.

EDIT: just to add for information. Here it seems that you have the same area across all routers and you can't do any policy because the ospf database must be the same on all routers 

Thanks
Francesco
PS: Please don't forget to rate and select as validated answer if this answered your question

Hi Francesco!

Sorry that did't draw clearly, but there are 3 areas. With area 0 in the middle, also thera OSPF only.

So Yes, I did research and there are PBR solution only. Worked for me on that LAB.

So Stil trying to Understand -

- Why with maximum path set to 1. From R10 to R11 It takes route thru router ABR 6.6.6.6 and not 9.9.9.9? I did change router id of R9 to 2.0.0.1 (make ID lower than ABR 6.6.6.6) and cleared process OSPF but it does't help :| Seems like "Tie breaker" with all links and costs are the same is ABR?

12.png

Did you clear the OSPF process after changing the router-id?

Calin C.
Level 5
Level 5

R9# conf t

R9(config)# interface fa0/1

R9(config-if)# ip ospf cost 10000

Does this do the trick? I'm pretty sure it does it, but there are multiple things to take into consideration...

Calin

Hi, @Calin C.

Yeap, after configuration made processes restarting.

So it's doen't make sence to put cost - this is works.

I'm Asking in curent topology - what is TIE BREAKER for choosing path thru R6 and not thru R9

@Timohamoto - Basically you're right, the router-id is the tie break, but I think there are some exceptions.

Can I see an output of the on R7:

show ip ospf neighbors 

show ip route ospf (with 1 path and 2 paths)

I want to see how is the prefix known to OSPF.

Thanks,

Calin

So there are NSSA in Area2. Here is what we have from two possible ways thru R6 and R9. And what is makes preferable R6... :( I did try to change R9 to ID less than R6's 6.6.6.6 but it's still went thru R6.

Screen Shot 2018-07-26 at 20.12.36.png

Screen Shot 2018-07-26 at 20.18.58.png

When you changed router-id on R9, did you cleared the ospf process? If so, did you do it on R9 and R8?

Thanks
Francesco

@Calin C.@Francesco Molino

Finally Highest router ID makes priority. Thank you guys

(@Calin C. not lowest how I wrote you in private message :| some confusion there)

Yeah that's right, Higher router-id makes priority. I didn't noticed you were talking about lower and on your print-screens, R9 have a higher RID.

Thanks
Francesco
Getting Started

Find answers to your questions by entering keywords or phrases in the Search bar above. New here? Use these resources to familiarize yourself with the community: